The Energy, Environment and Resources research department, is looking for a talented and people-oriented person to manage the department. At the forefront of the sustainable development debate, the EER department conducts high-level analytical research on critical issues of energy security, environment and resource governance.
The Department Manager is a key role situated at the centre of this busy and dynamic team. Responsible for the day to day running of the department you will manage all financial, contractual and reporting processes at both department and project level, working across a diverse range of activities. In close collaboration with the team’s researchers, you will also help to initiate, plan and execute the departments’ range of high-profile projects. A central point person within the team, we’re looking for a candidate who is able to build excellent relationships with a wide range of people. This is a fantastic opportunity for a highly motivated candidate to combine an interest in international sustainable development issues with a passion for management.
The successful candidate will have most, if not all, of the following qualities:
- Extensive and demonstrable experience of project management including planning, monitoring and reporting on many simultaneous projects (required)
- Proven expertise in financial and contract management at departmental level (required)
- Knowledge of fundraising, including previous experience of preparing proposals to grant-making bodies (required)
- An excellent problem solver and able to take decisions calmly under pressure
- Strong and effective communication and inter-personal skills
- Previous experience in line-management and human resource processes
- Highly organised, a clear thinker and planner and able to conceive new systems to continue to improve the management of the department’s activities
- Possess an interest in international sustainable development issues and be familiar with the policy research sector
- A positive and flexible attitude to work across a myriad of tasks in a busy department
To apply for this position please submit a cover letter, CV and the contact details of two referees, to Rhona Moir at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 13 December 2013
Salary range: £32,000-£35,000
For general enquiries about the role please contact Gemma Green at email@example.com