Kevin Outterson teaches health law and corporate law at Boston University, where he co-directs the health law programme. He serves as the editor-in-chief of the Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics; faculty co-advisor to the American Journal of Law & Medicine; past chair of the Section on Law, Medicine & Health Care of the Association of American Law Schools; and a member of the Board of the American Society of Law, Medicine & Ethics. He blogs on health policy issues at leading health policy blog, theincidentaleconomist.com. His research focuses on the organization and finance of the health sector. Areas of specialization include global pharmaceutical markets, particularly antibiotics and other antimicrobials that can degrade in usefulness over time through resistance. He led an interdisciplinary project on the legal ecology of antimicrobial resistance, funded in part by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation program on public health law. He is a faculty affiliate at the Harvard Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics and an appointed member of the Antimicrobial Resistance Working Group at the CDC.
- Health care markets
- New business models for antibiotics
- Global intellectual property, trade agreements & health
- First Amendment issues in health care
|2007 - present||Professor, Boston University School of Law; co-director of the Health Law Program|
|2010 - present|
Professor of Health Law, Bioethics, and Human Rights, Boston University School of Public Health
|2011 - present||CDC, Antimicrobial Resistance Working Group|
|2010 - present|
Faculty Affiliate, Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics, Harvard University
- Towards a New Global Business Model for Antibiotics: Delinking Revenues from Sales Charles Clift, Unni Gopinathan, Chantal Morel, Kevin Outterson, John-Arne Røttingen and Anthony So (eds), Chatham House Report, October 2015
- New Business Models for Sustainable Antibiotics, Chatham House Centre on Global Health Security Working Group Papers (London, Feb. 2014).
- The Drug Quality and Security Act – Mind the Gaps, 370 N. ENGL. J. MED. 97-99 (2014).
- Approval and Withdrawal of Antibiotics and Other Antiinfectives in the US, 1980-2009, 41(3) J.L. MED. & ETHICS 688-696 (2013) (with Powers, Seoane-Vazquez, Rodriguez-Monguio, & Kesselheim).
- Improving Antibiotic Markets for Long Term Sustainability, 11 YALE J. HEALTH POL’Y, L. & ETHICS 101 (2011) (with Kesselheim AS).
- Fighting Antibiotic Resistance: Marrying New Financial Incentives to Meeting Public Health Goals, 29 HEALTH AFFAIRS 1689-1696 (2010) (with Aaron S. Kesselheim).