Paul Hohnen is an independent consultant who provides advice to a range of international organizations, businesses, governments and non-profit clients on global sustainable development and corporate social responsibility trends and issues. He trained as an international lawyer and was closely involved in the 1992, 2002 and 2012 UN sustainability summits, as well as in a wide range of climate change and other global treaties. An expert on responsible business practices, he has participated in the development and/or roll out of the UN Global Compact, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) MNE Guidelines, the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), and the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 26000 social responsibility guidance. His ability to work with diverse stakeholder groups stems from a unique career, in which he has been a senior diplomat, international civil servant, policy director of Greenpeace International, and strategic director of the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI). In addition to facilitating a range of high-level and expert Chatham House meetings, he has chaired ministerial and CEO-level meetings for various UN and business organisations.
- Sustainable development
- International organisations
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Conference facilitation
Founder, 'Sustainability Strategies' Consulting, Amsterdam (www.hohnen.net)
Director, Strategic Development, Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), Amsterdam
Special Adviser on Business Affairs, Executive Director, Greenpeace International
Head, Climate Policy, and later Director, Political Division, Greenpeace International, Amsterdam
Deputy (and sometime Acting) High Commissioner, Australian High Commission, Colombo
First Secretary, Australian Mission to the European Communities, Brussels
Australian Department of Foreign Affairs (including postings to the OECD (Paris), to the South Pacific Forum (Suva), and appointments as the Head of Resources Planning.
- English (broadcast), Dutch (social), French (social)
- The Future of Sustainability Reporting Programme Paper, January 2012
- Setting the Standard in Salvador, report on the first meeting of the ISO Working Group on Social Responsibility, Ethical Corporation, 21 March, 2005.
- Can corporate social responsibility survive 2005?, Ethical Corporation, 24 January 2005.
- Sustainability Reporting : The Path to 'Clearly Better' Performance invited paper for Ministerial Conference International Energy Forum, Amsterdam, 22-25 May 2004.
- The Global Reporting Initiative (GRI): The Emergence of a New Issue, a New Partnership and a New Tool, Ernst Ligteringen and Paul Hohnen, in 'The Partnership Principle : New Forms of Government in the 21st Century', Alfred Herrhausen Society, ed. Stern & Seligmann, Archetype Publications, 2004.
- A Sustainable Future', Chapter 11, 'No Scruples? Managing to be Responsible in a Turbulent World, Spiro Press, U.K., ISBN 1 904298 06 0, May 2002