The politics of this region continue to be defined by its intractable conflicts. Prospects for reconciliation and political and economic reform remain weak.
The programme’s research focuses on the internal politics of the South Caucasus states and wider geopolitical and geoeconomic considerations.
Topics examined include:
- The internal dynamics of the South Caucasus states.
- The involvement of external actors: US, UK, EU, Russia, Turkey, Iran.
- The potential for conflict escalation.
- The impact of oil and gas production and transit on the political economies of Azerbaijan and Georgia.
- The implications of political developments in the North Caucasus for the countries of the South Caucasus.