Chatham House, in partnership with the Robert Bosch Stiftung, hosts fellows from the six countries of the Eastern Partnership and Russia.
The fellowship offers an opportunity for the next generation of scholars from Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Russia and Ukraine to advance their knowledge of post-Soviet politics, develop research skills, contribute to Chatham House research, and build links with policy and academic communities in the UK, Germany and the EU more broadly. The fellowship is aimed at future leaders, researchers and opinion-makers in the early stages of their careers.
The fellows spend nine months working at Chatham House with the Russia and Eurasia Programme team. During this time they will conduct a research project of their own design relating to the politics, economies and/or societies of the post-Soviet region. In the course of the fellowship, the scholars will conduct research trips to the region and also spend time at the German Council on Foreign Relations in Berlin. The fellowships are part of Chatham House's Queen Elizabeth II Academy for Leadership in International Affairs.
Call for applications
The 2016/17 application window is now closed. The next call for applications will open in spring 2017.
Research projects should be designed by you. However, you should bear in mind what would also be relevant to an international policy institute. Research projects should therefore fall into one or more of the given broad categories. Below are examples from the spring 2016 call for applications, however please note that these may change for the spring 2017 call for applications.
1. Prospects for Economic Growth, Modernization and Democratization in the Eastern Partnership Countries and/or Russia
2. Regional Elites and Networks of Power
3. Societal Changes, Inter-ethnic Relations and Non-state actors
4. The Future of EU and NATO Relations with the Eastern Partnership Countries and/or Russia
5. Security and Conflict Resolution
6. Prospects for Intra-regional Conflict or Cooperation
7. Russia and the Shared Neighbourhood with Europe
Should you have any further queries please contact us at AcademyRobertBoschFellowships@chathamhouse.org