Does Aid Work?
Overseas aid now takes a variety of forms including emergency relief, development assistance, skills training and encouraging democracy and human rights awareness. To what extent aid achieves the aims set by donors, and whether it can effectively help deliver development are contested issues. This debate will consider questions including:
- If aid works, which types work and how effective are they?
- If aid does not work, what evidence is there and why are we still investing in it?
- Can greater transparency counteract the risk of corruption and improve aid effectiveness?
- Should the focus be on knowledge-sharing rather than aid?
- How has the emergence of new donors and models changed the aid landscape?