Alan is an economics writer and editor based in London, and was global economics correspondent for Reuters until November 2013.
In the course of a 33-year career with the news agency, he reported from more than 40 countries and had postings in London, Frankfurt, Paris, New York, Washington, Tokyo, Singapore and Beijing.
He attended many IMF, G7 and EU summits and reported on landmark economic events including the Latin American debt crisis of the 1980s; the collapse of Continental Illinois bank; the 1985 Plaza Accord; the 1987 Wall Street crash; negotiations to create the euro; Japan’s struggle to defeat deflation; the meteoric rise of China; and the euro zone crisis.
Areas of expertise
- International economic policy-making (G7, G20 process)
- Chinese economy
- Euro area integration
|2013 - present||Freelance economics writing, editing and teaching. Clients include IMF, HSBC, EIU, Lombard Street Research, McKinsey Global Institute|
|2011-13||Global economics correspondent, Reuters, London|
|2005-11||China economics editor, Reuters, Beijing|
|2002-05||Asian economics correspondent, Reuters, Singapore|
|1999-2002||Asian economics correspondent, Reuters, Tokyo|
|1993-99||Reuters, London. Firstly as chief lobby correspondent covering parliament, then as chief general news correspondent in the London bureau and finally as European economics correspondent covering the launch of the euro.|
|1990-93||European economics correspondent and chief economics correspondent for France, Reuters, Paris|
|1987-89||Senior economics correspondent, Reuters, Washington|
Reuters, New York. Reported on US money, bond and currency markets, Federal Reserve policy and the sovereign debt problems of Latin America and other emerging markets.
|1981-82||Trainee, Reuters, Frankfurt|
- China’s Outgoing Central Bank Governor Leaves an Impressive but Fragile Legacy 05 March 2018
- Britain’s Economic Future Will Be Decided at Home 01 November 2016
- Fiscal Stimulus Must Play Its Part in Reviving Global Growth 09 September 2016
- G20 Should Pursue a New Charter for Globalization 03 August 2016
- Stock Markets Face Three-Pronged Threat 01 February 2016
- Britain is Betting on the Power of the Renminbi 21 October 2015