Ama Pokuaa Fenny is a research fellow with the Institute of Statistical, Social and Economics Research (ISSER) at the University of Ghana.
Since 2005, she has researched and published in the area of developmental issues in health economics, health service delivery, social protection and gender-based analysis.
Her research at Chatham House focuses on how the poor can be integrated into social health insurance programs in Sub-Saharan African countries.
She has also carried out a number of expenditure tracking surveys and health expenditure reviews with country experience across West and East Africa.
She has a PhD in Health Economics from the Department of Public Health, Aarhus University, Denmark; MSc in Health, Population & Society from the London School of Economics & Political Science (UK) and BA in Economics and Computer Science from the University of Ghana.
Areas of expertise
- Health systems and policy
- Social protection programmes
- Health financing
- Expenditure tracking
|2014 -||Research Fellow, Institute of Statistical, Social and Economic Research, University of Ghana|
|2009-14||Doctoral Fellow, Department of Public Health, Aarhus University|
|2005-09||Principal Research Assistant, Institute of Statistical, Socialand Economic Research, University of Ghana|
- Who uses outpatient healthcare services under Ghana’s health protection scheme and why? with Asante, F.A., Arhinful, D.K., Kusi, A., Parmar, and Williams, G, BMC Health Services Research, 16: 174 DOI: 10.1186/s12913-016-1429-z (2016)
- Malaria care seeking behavior of individuals in Ghana under the NHIS: Are we back to the use of informal care? with Asante, FA, Enemark, U & Hansen, KS, BMC Public Health 2015, 15:370 (2015)
- Treatment-seeking Behaviour and Social Health Insurance in Africa: the Case of Ghana under the National Health Insurance Scheme with Asante, FA, Enemark, U & Hansen, KS, Global Journal of Health Science, Vol 7 (1) (2015)
- Quality of Uncomplicated Malaria Case Management in Ghana among Insured and Uninsured with Hansen, KS, Enemark, U & Asante, FA, International Journal for Equity in Health, 13:63 (2014)
- Patient Satisfaction with Primary Health Care – A Comparison between the insured and non-insured under the National Health Insurance Policy in Ghana with Hansen, KS, Asante, FA & Enemark, U, Global Journal of Health Science, Vol 6(4) (2014)