Ann Marie Kimball is a physician and epidemiologist. A strategic adviser for Rockefeller Foundation, she served as technical and strategic lead for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation surveillance strategy formation. She was also senior program officer with the foundation, prior to which she served as professor of epidemiology at the University of Washington School of Public Health where she is now emerita. During her tenure at UW, Dr Kimball founded and directed the APEC Emerging Infections Network, and led research and training programs in Peru and Thailand. Her research focus on global trade and emerging infections earned her a Fulbright New Century Scholars award and a Guggenheim Scholars award. She is the author of Risky Trade: Infectious Diseases in an Era of Global Trade and has authored numerous scientific publications and served on several Institute of Medicine panels. Most recently she led the Rockefeller Foundation evaluation of their global disease surveillance network portfolio. She is a fellow in the American College of Preventive Medicine and member of the National Biosurveillance Advisory group, Centers for Disease Control.
|2014-present||Stratgic Adviser, Rockefeller Foundation|
|2011-14||Senior Program Officer, Surveillance Epidemiology, BMGF|
|1993-2011||Professor, Epidemiology, SPH, University of Washington (emerita)|
|1991-93||Director, HIV/AIDS Washington State|
|1988-91||Head, National Program Support, HIV/AIDS PAHO/WHO|
- English, French, Spanish
- Risky Trade: Infectious Diseases in an Era of Global Trade, Kimball, AM, Ashgate, 2006.
- Risks and Challenges in Medical Tourism- Understanding the Global Market for Health Services, Hodges, J, Turner, L, Kimball, AM. Praegar, 2012.
- Kimball AM, Moore M, French HM, Arima Y, Ungchusak K, Wibulpolprasert S, Taylor T, Touch S, Leventhal A 'Regional Infectious Disease Surveillance Networks and their Potential to Facilitate the implementation of the International Health Regulations' Medical Clinics of NA, MDC534, Vol 92, Issue 6. August 2008.
- Kimball, AM 'The Health of Nations : Happy Birthday WTO: Time to Take Care of Our Health' Lancet, December 15, 2005
- Kimball AM, Heymann D, 'Lessons from the IHR' (correspondence) Lancet, December 9, 2014.