Dr Brian McCloskey is the director of Global Health for Public Health England. He has worked in public health at local, regional, national and international level over a period of 25 years, including the UK’s Health Protection Agency, with a remit for emergency planning and responsibility for cross government aspects of the agency’s response to major emergencies. This included the HPA’s response to the London bombings, Buncefield Oil Depot fire, the Litvinenko polonium poisoning, flooding incidents and pandemic flu. He also had the lead role in planning the public health services for the 2012 London Olympics.
Brian has been working with WHO’s Mass Gatherings Advisory Group since 2008, heading up the Collaborating Centre on Mass Gatherings working with mass gatherings such as the Hajj, the World Cup in South Africa as well as the London Olympics and recently Rio and Tokyo.
Brian acted as PHE’s national incident director for Ebola when it became a national incident in 2014 and was then seconded to work with the UN special envoy on Ebola, based in Geneva, until April 2015. Brian has recently been invited onto the WHO’s Review Committee on the Role of the International Health Regulations (2005) in the Ebola Outbreak and Response.
Brian was awarded a CBE for services to public health in January 2013.
- Public health
- Global health security
- Outbreak response and emerging diseases
- Mass gatherings
|2013 -||Director of Global Health, Public Health England|
|2008-13||Regional Director for London, Health Protection Agency|
|2012 -||Director, WHO Collaborating Centre on Mass Gatherings and Global Health Security|
Extensive media training and experience
- English (first language)
- Conversational French (not broadcast standard)
- Host-directed therapies for improving poor treatment outcomes associated with the middle east respiratory syndrome coronavirus infections Zumla A, Azhar EI, Arabi Y, Alotaibi B, Rao M, McCloskey B, Petersen E, Maeurer M. International Journal of Infectious Diseases (2015)
- 'Middle East Respiratory Syndrome in the shadow of Ebola', Alimuddin Zumla, Stanley Perlman, Scott J N McNabb, Affan Shaikh, David L Heymann, Brian McCloskey, David S Hui The Lancet Respiratory Medicine 01/2015; 3(2). DOI:10.1016/S2213-2600(14)70316-9
- 'Emerging respiratory tract infections 2, Emerging infectious diseases and pandemic potential: status quo and reducing risk of global spread' Brian McCloskey, Osman Dar, Alimuddin Zumla, David L Heymann The Lancet Infectious Diseases 10/2014; 14(10). DOI:10.1016/S1473-3099(14)70846-1
- 'Emerging respiratory tract infections' Alimuddin Zumla, David S Hui, Jaffar A Al-Tawfiq, Phillipe Gautret, Brian McCloskey, Ziad A Memish The Lancet Infectious Diseases 10/2014; 14(10). DOI:10.1016/S1473-3099(14)70899-0
- 'London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games: public health surveillance and epidemiology' Brian McCloskey, Tina Endericks, Mike Catchpole, Maria Zambon, Jim McLauchlin, Nandini Shetty, Rohini Manuel, Deborah Turbitt, Gillian Smith, Paul Crook, [...], Jane Jones, Sue Ibbotson, Roberta Marshall, Catherine A H Smallwood, Nicolas Isla, Ziad A Memish, Abdullah A Al-Rabeeah, Maurizio Barbeschi, David L Heymann, Alimuddin Zumla The Lancet 06/2014; 383(9934). DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(13)62342-9