Christina Velentza was an Academy Stavros Niarchos Foundation fellow with the International Law Programme and Europe Programme in 2015-16. She is an attorney at law and legal adviser with the Athens Bar Association, Greece. She has worked for the Greek Asylum Service (Ministry of Interior) in partnership with UNHCR on refugee status determination procedure and assessment of claims for international protection. She has previously worked for the EEAS, Legal Service in the General Secretariat of the Council of the EU and NGOs in the field of human rights.
Her research interests are international and European law, refugee law, internal discplacement and international cooperation and she is currently researching the cooperation between Greece and Turkey through the Syrian refugee crisis in the Mediterranean. Christina is a PhD candidate in international refugee law, holds her MA in European Studies (Law) from the University of Strasbourg and her BA in Law from the Demokriteion University of Komotini, Greece.
Areas of expertise
- European and International Law
- European criminal law - cooperation in penal matters
- EU policy - justice and home affairs
- International refugee law - refugee status determination procedure
- Human rights
|2015-16||Academy Stavros Niarchos Foundation Fellow, Europe Programme and International Law Programme, Chatham House|
|2015||Contractor for the project Fast Track procedure for Syrian refugees, Ministry of Interior, Greek Asylum Service in partnership with UNHCR Athens|
|2008-15||Attorney at Law and Legal Adviser, Bar Association Athens|
|2015||Legal adviser to migrants families in partnership with the NGO Civis Plus Athens|
|2013-14||Legal member appointed by UNHCR to the Appeals Authority, Ministry of Interior Athens|
|2013||Researcher for the EU-Turkey programme, Hellenic Foundation for European & Foreign Policy (ELIAMEP) Athens|
|2012-13||Researcher on EU policy and migration, Institute for Research and Training on European Affairs (IRTEA) Athens|
|2012||Leonardo da Vinci Fellow/researcher on Roma minority and gender-based violence in Transylvania in partnership with Association Liga Proeuropa Targu Mures Romania|
|2011-12||Political and Human Rights Officer, European External Action Service, EU Delegation to The Gambia, West Africa|
|2010||Intern, International Criminal Court Office of the Prosecutor (OTP)- International Cooperation Section, The Hague|
|2009-10||Trainee, Council EU, Legal Service (DG Justice and Home Affairs) Brussels|
|2009||Researcher, Office of the Greek Prosecutor in Eurojust, The Hague|
- International human rights lawyer says EU member states are failing in their obligations to refugees The Independent, September 2016
- Futures Debate: Next generation voices from across the region Stavros Niarchos Foundation, June 2016
- What if Europe were like more Lesbos, the island of solidarity? Publico (Portugal), March 2016
- ‘Asylum seekers and human rights in Greece: the new institutional and legal framework implemented in Greece, quantitative and qualitative analysis of data in migratory flows during the period 2010-2013’, for the research programme in the Institute for Research and Training on European Affairs, Athens, November 2014, pp. 68-91.
- ‘Migration and asylum within the EU: priorities of the Greek Presidency of the Council of the EU (January-June 2014)’, in the IBA (International Bar Association) Newsletter, Volume 1 Issue 1, May 2014.
- ‘Law as a tool for social change: The question of Internally Displaced people (IDPs) through the case of Great Lakes, Africa, in the 9th Annual International Leadership Training Programme: A Global Intergenerational Forum, Celebrating 64 Years of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights’, UNESCO Chair & Institute of Comparative Human Rights University of Connecticut, Storrs, USA, 8-18 August 2013, pp. 221-226.
- ‘Internally displaced people and refugees: protective framework’, in the 16th International Conference on education organization and administration, multicultural education and Greek as main language, Department of Primary Education, Intercultural Education Center, University of Patras, 18-20 June 2013, pp. 417-433.
- ‘Early marriage and its effect on education of Roma children in Transylvania (case study), in 16th International Conference on education organization and administration, multicultural education and Greek as main language, Department of Primary Education, Intercultural Education Center, University of Patras, 18-20 June 2013, pp. 17-32.