Before joining Chatham House, Chronis was an officer at the Hellenic Navy, and is also a visiting research fellow at the Dartmouth Centre for Seapower and Strategy at Plymouth University.
He has over 13 years of professional experience as a navy warfare officer in NATO, EU and UN operations. His research interests include cybersecurity, defence studies, international and maritime security.
From 2014 to 2016 Chronis taught defence studies and international security at the Hellenic Airforce Academy. He has also taught operational and tactical courses for 5 years at the Hellenic Navy Training Command.
His academic publications include articles for Foreign Affairs, the Academy for Strategic Analyses, and conference papers for ECPR, UACES and SLSA.
He holds a BSc in Naval Warfare from the Hellenic Naval Academy, an MA in International Relations and Global Security from Plymouth University and a PGCert in Defence Management and Leadership from the Hellenic Naval War College.
Areas of expertise
- Cyber security in the maritime domain
- Energy security in the Eastern Mediterranean
- Maritime security and naval strategy
- Communications, IT and intelligence analysis
- Securitisation of the migrant crisis in Greece
|2017 - present||Visiting research fellow, Dartmouth Centre for Seapower and Strategy, Plymouth University|
|2016-17||Editor-in-chief and analyst, Naval Strategy and Maritime Security Cluster, IIR, Panteion University|
|2016||PgCert in defence management and leadership, Hellenic Naval War College|
|2014-16||Part-time lecturer, Hellenic Airforce Academy|
|2012-13||MA in international relations, global security and development, Plymouth University|
|2010-15||Military instructor, Hellenic Navy Training Command|
|2003 - present||Lieutenant, Hellenic Navy|
- 4 Cases of Cyber Security Failures in Shipping History in Collaboration in the Shipping Industry: Innovation and Technology, Lili Nguyen, KNect365, February 2018
- Policy forum: the future of maritime security with Christian Bueger, International Affairs Blog, December 2017
- The Exploitation of the Refugee Crisis in Greece’s Foreign Policy Dartmouth Centre for Seapower and Strategy, Plymouth University, June 2017
- The “Humanitarianism” Of Contemporary Military Intervention From Rwanda And Kosovo To Libya And Syria Academy for Strategic Analyses, September 2016
- Migration And National Security: The Quest For An Effective Greek Migration Policy Academy for Strategic Analyses, September 2015
- Alliances In The Middle East Usa And Israel: A Special Relationship Academy for Strategic Analyses, April 2015
- Migration and National Security: The Quest for an Effective Greek Migration Policy Academy for Strategic Analyses, Athens, 2015