Cleo Paskal is an associate fellow in the Energy, Environment and Resources department. Her research examines the increasingly strategic confluence of geopolitical, geoeconomic, and geophysical changes.
She has consulted or briefed for a wide range of stakeholders, including the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Royal College of Defence Studies (UK), US. Army War College, National Defence College (India), National Defence College (Oman), the German Foreign Office, the EU, and heads of major corporations, and security professionals from over 30 countries.
She has been widely published and makes frequent media appearances. Her book, Global Warring: How Environmental, Economic, and Political Crises Will Redraw the World Map (Macmillan, 2010) has won multiple awards.
Her most recent book is the bestselling Spielball Erde (Random House, 2012), co-authored with German TV news anchor Claus Kleber.
She is also a 2015 Trudeau visiting fellow at the Centre d'études et de recherches internationales de l'Université de Montréal (CERIUM), adjunct faculty in the Department of Geopolitics, Manipal University (India) and a Huffington Post blogger.
- The confluence of the 'three geos' (geopolitical, geoeconomic and geophysical changes), particularly in the Arctic, South Pacific and India
- Geopolitical, economic, strategic and security implications of large-scale environmental change
- How environmental change might affect borders
- How environmental change might alter global transportation systems and what that could mean economically and geostrategically
- New challenges to energy security
- Identification of nations/regions where environmental change is most likely to trigger conflict
- Military implications of environmental change
- Geopolitics in the South Pacific
- Economic, political and social issues in the world's smallest countries and dependencies (including Monaco, Liechtenstein, Andorran, San Marino, Iceland, Faroe Islands, Maldives, Seychelles, Tuvalu, Kiribati, Tonga, Nauru, Cook Islands, French Polynesia and others)
|2010-date||Blogger, Huffington Post|
|2008-date||Adjunct Faculty, Global Change, SCMS, Kochi, India|
|2007-date||Adjunct Faculty, Department of Geopolitics, Manipal University, India|
Over two dozen major awards for published works. Also wrote a 13-part Emmy-winning tv documentary series. Global Warring awarded a Special Merit in the 2010 Grantham Prize, and won the Mavis Gallant Non-Fiction Book Award.
2015 Trudeau Visiting Fellowship, Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation.
- What is Australia up to? The World Today
- France dives back into the South Pacific The World Today
- Financial nerve centres at risk of flooding The World Today
- Making elephants lighter on their feet The World Today
- Environment: Rebuilding Sandcastles The World Today
- US-Pacific Relations: Pacific-Minded The World Today
- From Constants to Variables: How Environmental Change Alters the Geopolitical and Geo-Economic Equation International Affairs
- The Vulnerability of Energy Infrastructure to Environmental Change Chatham House Briefing
- Trudeau Election Marks New Start for Canada 22 October 2015
- Japan's Nuclear Crisis: the Risk of Risk Assessments 20 May 2011
- Climate Challenges Beyond Copenhagen 20 May 2011
- Spielball Erde: Machtkämpfe im Klimawandel with Claus Kleber, C. Bertelsmann, 2012
- Global Warring: How Environmental, Economic, and Political Crises will Redraw the World MapPalgrave Macmillan, 2010
- Environmental Change: A Very Traditional Threat in Non-Traditional Security Challenges in Asia: Approaches and Responses, Routledge, 2015
- The ‘Three Geos’ in Geopolitics of the Indo-Pacific, National Maritime Foundation, 2014
- Washing Away Energy Security: The Vulnerability of Energy Infrastructure to Environmental ChangeinInternational Handbook Of Energy Security, Elgar, July 2013
- Ownership, Vulnerability and Access: Security Dimensions of the Global Food System Executive Summary Canadian Security Intelligence Service, May 2011
- Will Modi's India Reinvent International Relations? Huffington Post, May 2014
- ‘Syria is central to Middle East peace’ Rediff.com, February 2014
- Business as Usual is Finished Energlobe, July 2013
- New Lend-Lease for Indo-Pacific Allies Huffington Post, May 2013
- Expert: West Helping Wahabbi Winter Spread to Syria Huffington Post, December 2012
- Chinese Corruption Party Undermines China's Stability Huffington Post, April 2012
- US Military Undermined by Environmental ChangeHuffington Post, November 2011
- Why Indian Corruption is a Global Security Concern Huffington Post, August, 2011
- Why We Build Nuclear Power Stations in Earthquake Zones Huffington Post, March 2011
- Why the West Is Losing the Pacific to China, the Arab League, andJust About Everyone Else Huffington Post, November 2010
- Strange Case of the Disappearing IslandsNew Zealand Herald, April 2010
- Redrawing the World Map Journal of International Security Affairs, Spring 2010
- How Copenhagen Has Changed Geopolitics: The Real Take-Home Message Is Not What You Think New Security Beat, January 2010
- The Fallacy of Growth: Climate Change Policy Trade-Offs International Affairs Forum Magazine, Winter 2009/2010