Dr. Ilian Iliev is a serial entrepreneur and VC investor with a strong interest in innovation and entrepreneurship policy.
Ilian is managing director of EcoMachines Ventures, a London-based industrial-high VC fund that he founded in 2013.
Previously he co-founded and was CEO of CambridgeIP Ltd (2006-2012), which he built into a leading technology strategy player in the innovation space.
In the 1990s he founded and led a 100-person family business in Southern Africa in the medium and high voltage space.
Ilian holds a PhD from Cambridge University’s Judge Business School, focused on Venture Capital business models in emerging economies; MCom in Economics, and BA in Politics, Economics and International Relations from the University of Witwatersrand, where he was voted Best Political Science Student in South Africa in 1997.
He has published and research issues in the energy and cleantech space, innovation finance and innovation policy.
Areas of expertise
- Venture capital/innovation finance/risk finance
- Industrial, innovation and entrepreneurship policy
- Patents and technology
- Emerging technologies and value chains in Robotics, AI, IoT
|2013-present||Managing director, EcoMachines Ventures|
|2006-12||CEO, CambridgeIP (remaining as director)|
|2004-08||Strategy and leadership development programme, Judge Business School, Cambridge University|
|2005-07||Board advisor on innovation, strategy, leadership development, Allen & Overy LLP|
|2001-14||PhD programme, Judge Business School, Cambridge University|
|1996-2001||Managing director, Satipimpex (South Africa)|
- Venture Capital Organisations as Actors in Emerging Economy Systems of Innovation: Case Studies of South Africa and Hungary PhD Thesis, University of Cambridge, 2015
- Barriers to Venture Capital Investment in Innovative SMEs in CEEs – An Outline in Radosevic, Slavo & Piech, Krzisztof (editors) The Knowledge-Based Economy in Central and East European Countries: countries and industries in a process of change, Palgrave Macmillan, London, 2007