Dr Richard Connolly is senior lecturer in Political Economy and co-director of the Centre for Russian, European and Eurasian Studies at the University of Birmingham. His research and teaching are principally concerned with the political economy of Russia.
He is also visiting professor on the Master of Global Public Policy (MGPP) programme at the Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, member of the editorial board for Eurasian Geography and Economics, and for the Routledge series on Russian and East European Studies, and he is editor of Post-Communist Economies.
Dr Connolly has presented his research to a wide range of academic and non-academic audiences, including the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), the International Trade Committee of the European Parliament, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), the Moscow State Institute for International Relations (MGIMO), and the Russo-British Chamber of Commerce (RBCC).
Areas of expertise
- Political and economic development in Russia
- Technological and industrial development in Russia
- Russia's role in the global economy
|2011-||Senior Lecturer in Political Economy, CREES, University of Birmingham|
|2009-11||CEELBAS Postdoctoral Research Fellow, CREES, University of Birmingham|
|2006-09||PhD, CREES, University of Birmingham|
- Russia’s Role as an Arms Exporter: The Strategic and Economic Importance of Arms Exports for Russia Research paper 20 March 2017
- Import Substitution and Economic Sovereignty in Russia Research paper 9 June 2016
- Troubled Times: Stagnation, Sanctions and the Prospects for Economic Reform in Russia Research paper 24 February 2015
- Towards Self Sufficiency? Economics as a Dimension of Russian Security and the National Security Strategy of the Russian Federation to 2020 NATO Defence College Research Review, No. 197, Rome: NATO Defence College, 2016
- The Empire Strikes Back: Economic Statecraft and the Securitisation of Political Economy in Russia Europe-Asia Studies, Vol. 68, No.4, 2016
- Barrels and Bullets: The Geostrategic Significance of Russia’s Oil and Gas Exports with M Bradshaw, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, Vol.72, No.3, 2016
- Security Above All Russia in Global Affairs, 2015 (Russian), 2016 (English)
- The Economic Sources of Social Order Development in Post-Socialist Eastern Europe London and New York: Routledge, 2013
- State Industrial Policy in Russia: The Nanotechnology Industry Post-Soviet Affairs, Vol 29, No 1, 2013, pp 1-30
- Russia, the Eurasian Customs Union and the World Trade Organisation in K.Wolczuk and R. Dragneva (eds.), Eurasian Economic Integration: Law, Policy, and Politics, Northampton: Edward Elgar Press, 2013, pp 61-80
- Russia’s Accession to the World Trade Organization with P Hanson, Eurasian Geography and Economics, Vol 53, No 4, 2012, pp 479-501