Prior to joining Chatham House in September 2014, he worked as a political-security analyst and commentator, active in media, civil society and particularly think-tanks. He also taught political leadership, policy formulation and resolution of cultural conflicts, in various institutions to include NATO Defense College. He is a strong advocate of ‘cultural interoperability’. He has extensive experience in multinational conventional and unconventional operations and strategic operational planning at NATO.
He specializes in political culture, political-psychology, psycho-sociology and democratization beyond ‘Third Wave’. His research project explores the impact of insecurity on young people in Turkey and the transformation of political culture.
He is an honorary research fellow at London Metropolitan University (Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities) and an honorary senior fellow in 21 Century Turkey Institute in Ankara. He holds an MA in military science from Turkish Army College, MA in international relations from Boston University and PhD in political science from Istanbul Bilgi University.
- Defence and security
- Political culture/psychology
- Civil society
- Foreign policy analysis
- Strategic policy-making
|2015-17||Academy Associate, Chatham House|
|2014-15||Academy Senior Fellow, International Security, Chatham House|
|2012-||Senior Fellow, 21. Century Turkey Institute, Dprt of National Security and International Relations, Ankara/Turkey|
|Honorary Research Fellow, London Metropolitan University, Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities|
|2010-13||Associate Fellow/Resource Person, CESS (Center for European Security Studies) GRONINGEN/The Netherlands|
|2009-12||Political Analyst/Writer, Journal Ekoenerji Political Assessment Group|
|Director of American Studies, the Turkish Center for International Relations and Strategic Analysis (TURKSAM) Ankara/Turkey|
|2006-08||Director, Ahmet Yesevi Kazakh-Turkish International University Strategic Research Center (AYSAM) Ankara/Turkey|
|2005-08||Chair, WG on Turkish Foreign Policy and Turkish-U.S. Relations, Retired Officers’ Association of Turkey, Ankara/Turkey|
|1998-99||Visiting Fellow, the Washington Institute for Near East Policy Washington DC|
|1975-05||Infantry (General Staff) Officer, Turkish Army|
- Vietnam and 'Tet' Offensive: Conflict of Clashing Values, Journal of National Security and Military Sciences, vol 1, no 3, Summer 2014 (pp.87-122)
- Quo Vadis NATO: Getting Prepared for Challenges in post-Afghanistan, post-Ukraine Era, www.21yyte.org, March 2014
- The Role and Interaction of Civilians and Soldiers in the Making and Execution of Defence Policy, The Turkish Case: Transforming But not Reforming. In M. Kayhan & M. Hartog (Ed.), Promoting Good Governance in the Security Sector. Groningen, the Netherlands: CESS, 2013
- General Guderian and Blitzkrieg: Theory and Practice of the ‘Blitzkrieg Doctrine’, Journal of National Security and Military Sciences, vol 1, no 1, Winter 2013-2014 (pp. 117-144)
- Syrian Puzzle: Why the Crisis cannot be Resolved, Birlik, no 197, July/August/September 2012 (pp.4-7)