Elizabeth Donnelly is deputy head of the Chatham House Africa Programme. Lizzy has published widely, particularly on Nigeria, and is a regular commentator in the media.
She has given briefings in Europe, Africa and the US, including to the House of Commons Foreign Affairs Committee and the European Parliament.
In addition to her research, Lizzy has oversight responsibilities for the Africa Programme including fundraising, project management, editing and outreach.
She is a regular visitor to Africa. She holds a master’s degree in international politics from the School of Oriental and African Studies and a first class bachelor’s degree in politics from the University of Bristol.
She has lived in Zambia, Ethiopia, Thailand and Japan.
- Nigerian politics and current affairs
- Japan's engagement in Africa
- The international relations of sub-Saharan Africa
|2016 -||Deputy Head, Africa Programme, Chatham House|
|2013-16||Assistant Head and Research Fellow, Africa Programme, Chatham House|
|2008-13||Programme Manager, Africa Programme, Chatham House|
|2007-08||Programme Coordinator, Africa Programme, Chatham House|
|2006-07||Programme Administrator, Africa Programme, Chatham House|
|2004-05||School of Oriental and African Studies, MSc International Politics|
- French (not for broadcast)
- Big problems but a big future The World Today, August 2012
- The Effects of Oil Companies' Activities on the Environment, Health and Development in sub-Saharan Africa with Heike Baumüller, Alex Vines, and Markus Weimer, European Parliament Committee on Development, 2011
- Italy's G8 Summit to Redefine Aid, This is Africa, 2008
- The Tokyo International Conference on African Development: Something Old, Something New? Background Note, Chatham House, 2008
- Japan-African Engagement and TICAD IV: Can Japan Lead the Way on African Development? Programme Paper, Chatham House, 2008
- Occhio alla Nigeria, Nigrizia, 2008
- Ancora transizione: Non sparate su Yar'Adua, Nigrizia, 2007
- Nigeria’s New President Pits Hope Against Harsh Realities 28 May 2015
- Boko Haram Massacre: Seven Questions Worth Asking 14 January 2015
- Boko Haram: Racing to Reclaim the Initiative 03 May 2012
- Violence in Jos, Nigeria: Bloody Agendas and Hidden Hands 20 May 2011
- Counting the cost of the Boko Haram crisis - podcast The Guardian
- Muhammadu Buhari wins Nigeria’s presidency in stunning upset Time
- Boko Haram’s deadly advance must be stopped, but how? The Guardian
- Nigeria's Boko Haram sets new tone in control areas Daily Mail
- Will Lagos see a rising number of attacks? Vanguard (AFP)
- Doubts raised over Boko Haram sanctions AFP
- Nigeria's president vows to defeat Boko Haram Al Jazeera
- Nigeria orders 'massive' mobilization against Islamists France24 (AFP)
- Nigerian kidnapped schoolgirls: ‘Kill the unbelievers!’ says Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau The Independent
- Nigeria's missing girls: Government hints at prisoner swap deal The Telegraph