Elizabeth Donnelly is deputy head of the Chatham House Africa Programme. Lizzy has published widely, particularly on Nigeria, and is a regular commentator in the media.
She has given briefings in Europe, Africa and the US, including to the House of Commons Foreign Affairs Committee and the European Parliament.
In addition to her research, Lizzy has oversight responsibilities for the Africa Programme including fundraising, project management, editing and outreach.
She is a regular visitor to Africa. She holds a master’s degree in international politics from the School of Oriental and African Studies and a first class bachelor’s degree in politics from the University of Bristol.
She has lived in Zambia, Ethiopia, Thailand and Japan.
Areas of expertise
- Nigerian politics and current affairs
- Japan's engagement in Africa
- The international relations of sub-Saharan Africa
|2016 -||Deputy Head, Africa Programme, Chatham House|
|2013-16||Assistant Head and Research Fellow, Africa Programme, Chatham House|
|2008-13||Programme Manager, Africa Programme, Chatham House|
|2007-08||Programme Coordinator, Africa Programme, Chatham House|
|2006-07||Programme Administrator, Africa Programme, Chatham House|
|2004-05||School of Oriental and African Studies, MSc International Politics|
- Nigeria’s child catchers The World Today 5 June 2014
- Progress and crisis will march hand in hand in Nigeria The World Today 1 February 2014
- Progress and crisis will march hand in hand in Nigeria The World Today 6 February 2014
- Big problems but a big future The World Today 1 August 2012
- Africa: Tangible Tensions The World Today 1 November 2011
- The Effects of Oil Companies' Activities on the Environment, Health and Development in sub-Saharan Africa European Parliament Report 1 August 2011
- Profile - Nigeria's New President: Jonathan's Goodluck The World Today 1 June 2010
- Japan-African Engagement and TICAD IV: Can Japan Lead the Way on African Development? Research paper 15 July 2008
- Nigeria’s New President Pits Hope Against Harsh Realities 28 May 2015
- Boko Haram Massacre: Seven Questions Worth Asking 14 January 2015
- Boko Haram: Racing to Reclaim the Initiative 03 May 2012
- Violence in Jos, Nigeria: Bloody Agendas and Hidden Hands 20 May 2011