Elli Kytömäki is an independent policy analyst and researcher working on disarmament and arms control issues, most notably related to conventional arms control and nuclear non-proliferation.
Prior to establishing her own consultancy, Ms Kytömäki was the project manager at the United Nations Institute for Disarmament Research (UNIDIR) for projects supporting the negotiations towards the Arms Trade Treaty.
During her career, Ms Kytömäki has also worked at Conflict Prevention Center of the OSCE Secretariat, the research institute Small Arms Survey, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), and the Permanent Mission of Finland to the UN Conference on Disarmament.
Ms Kytömäki has authored several articles and papers on the Arms Trade Treaty, Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) and nuclear policy and eagerly follows international developments in these areas.
Areas of expertise
- Conventional arms trade
- Arms Trade Treaty
- Small arms control
- Regional disarmament initiatives and agreements
- European nuclear non-proliferation policies
|2012 -||Associate Fellow, International Security Department, Chatham House|
|2012 -||Independent Consultant|
|2009 - 12||Project Manager, United Nations Institute for Disarmament Research (UNIDIR)|
|2006 - 09||Forum for Security Cooperation Support Officer, Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), Conflict Prevention Centre|
|2004 - 06||Researcher, United Nations Institute for Disarmament Research|
|2003 - 04||Research Fellow, Joint project of the Small Arms Survey and UNIDIR|
|2002||Temporary Project Assistant, UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA)|
|2002||Temporary Attaché, Permanent Mission of Finland to the UN Conference on Disarmament|
- The Arms Trade Treaty’s Interaction with Other Related Agreements Research paper 27 February 2015
- The Arms Trade Treaty and Human Security: Cross-cutting Benefits of Accession and Implementation Research paper 20 February 2015
- How Joining the Arms Trade Treaty Can Help Advance Development Goals Research paper 15 December 2014
- The Defence Industry, Investors and the Arms Trade Treaty Research paper 15 December 2014
- It’s Time for the Arms Trade Treaty to Prove Its Value 08 September 2015
- The Arms Trade Treaty One Year On: Will It Make a Difference? 01 June 2014
- Arms Trade Treaty: Attention Now on Ratification 30 September 2013
- A Historic Step Towards More Responsible Arms Trade 04 April 2013
- Legal analysis of the Arms Trade Treaty’s Article 17 – Conferences of States Parties in Da Silva, Claire and Brian Wood (eds.), Weapons and International Law: the Arms Trade Treaty. Brussels: Larcier, 2015
- Nordic Arms Transfer Controls and the Arms Trade Treaty: Strengths and Challenges Helsinki: SaferGlobe, July 2015
- Ei Ydinaseille! Suomalaisen aktivismin historia ed., Helsinki: Into Kustannus, 2014 (No to nuclear weapons! History of Finnish activism)
- Supporting the Arms Trade Treaty Negotiations Final Report on EU-UNIDIR Project on Regional Seminars, Geneva: United Nations, 2012
- The OSCE Experience with Surplus Small Arms and Ammunition with Yuriy Kryvonos, in Contemporary Security Policy, Volume 29, Number 1, April 2008