Francesca Viliani is a public health specialist focusing on the role of the private sector in global health issues and wider international development. Francesca is recognized internationally for her expertise in the Environmental, Social and Health Impact Assessment (ESHIA) of large scale extractive projects and the national plans they are associated with. She has gained extensive experience in environmental contamination concerns, health system strengthening, resettlement of indigenous communities and infectious disease outbreak preparedness and response. She has been an adviser to the World Health Organization (WHO) on public health and extractive industries and the co-chair of the International Association for Impact Assessment (IAIA) health section.
Francesca is also the technical director of the Infectious Diseases Risk Assessment and Management – IDRAM - initiative at Chatham House and is the head of public health consulting services and community health programmes for International SOS.
- International public health
- Disaster preparedness and response
- Emergency and humanitarian aid
- Institutional capacity-building
|2007 -||Head of Public Health Consulting Services and Community Health Programmes, International SOS|
|2001-04||Development and Humanitarian Aid Policy Officer, Solidar (Brussels)|
- English, Spanish, Italian
Mapping Mining to the Sustainable Development Goals: A Preliminary Atlas Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment, UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network, World Economic Forum, 2016
- 'Non-communicable disease risk factor patterns among mining industry workers in Papua, Indonesia: longitudinal findings from the Cardiovascular Outcomes in a Papuan Population and Estimation of Risk (COPPER) Study, R. Rodriguez-Fernandez, E. Rahajeng, F. Viliani, H. Kushadiwijaya, R. M. Amiya, M.J Bangs, Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 2015;0:1–8
- 'Assessing Health Impacts within Environmental Impact Assessments: An Opportunity for Public Health Globally Which Must Not Remain Missed', P. Harris, F. Viliani and J. Spickett, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 2015, 12, 1044-1049
- 'Health impact assessment: the state of the art', B. Harris-Roxas, F. Viliani, A. Bond, B. Cave, M. Divall, P. Furu, P. Harris, M. Soeberg, A. Wernham & M. Winkler, in 'Special Issue: The state of the art of impact assessment in 2012', Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal, Volume 30, Issue 1, 2012
- Health in Impact Assessments. Opportunities not to be missed R. Fehr, F. Viliani, M. Martuzzi, J. Nowacki (eds). Joint publication WHO Europe, European Association of Public Health and IAIA.
- 'Realities and Opportunities for HIA in Africa', F. Viliani and E. Clarke, in Integrating Health Impact Assessment into the Policy Process: Lessons and Experiences from around the World, O’Mullane M, Oxford University Press, Oxford –UK, 2013