Since retiring from HM Diplomatic Service in 2003, where his last post was establishing the British Embassy in North Korea, Dr J E (Jim) Hoare has pursued a second career as a broadcaster, writer and occasional teacher on East Asia. Much of his work concerns North Korea but he also has expertise on China and Japan. He has published several books, some with his wife, Susan Pares, also a former diplomat. He is a graduate of Queen Mary University of London (BA 1964) and the School of Oriental and African Studies (PhD 1971).
- Diplomacy and diplomatic history
- Chinese foreign policy
- Japanese history since c. 1850
- The two Koreas
|2003-04, 08-09 and 10-14||Senior Teaching Fellow in Korean Studies, SOAS, University of London|
|2001-02||British chargé d’affaires and HM Consul-General, British Embassy, Pyongyang|
|1992-93||On secondment as Research Associate, IISS, London|
|1988-91||Head of Chancery and HM Consul-General, British Embassy, Beijing|
|1981-85||Head of Chancery and HM Consul, British Embassy Seoul.|
|1969-2001||Research Analyst HM Diplomatic Service – final rank was Research Counsellor|
|1964-71||PhD student Oriental History SOAS, University of London|
|1961-64||Undergraduate BA History Queen Mary College University of London|
Extensive since 2003 on radio and television
- Japanese, Korean and Chinese (not for broadcast)
- 'John Carey Hall 1844–1921: A career in the Japan and the Japan Consular Service'; 'John Frederick Lowder (1843–1902): Consul , Counsel and yaotai'; 'Sir Edward Crowe (1877–1960: Forgotten Star of the Japan Consular Service' in Hugh Cortazzi, ed. Britain and Japan Biographical Portraits Vol. X. Folkestone, Kent: 2016.
- Historical Dictionary of the Republic of Korea , Lanham MD: 2015.
- Critical Readings on North and South Korea 3 vols. Leiden: 2013.
- 'Korea, Taiwan and Manchuria: Britain’s Consular Service in the Japanese Empire 1993–1941', in Hugh Cortazzi, ed., Britain and Japan Biographical Portraits Vol. VIII, Leiden 2013, pp. 130–145.
- Historical Dictionary of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Lanham, MD., 2013.