Jason has been a research associate of the African Studies Centre since 2012, and is also the managing editor of the Journal of Eastern African Studies.
His main geographical interests are in the greater Horn of Africa, the Great Lakes region and Nigeria. He is interested in the politics of ethnicity, and of religion - particularly of Islam - in these and other areas.
Current research is focused on the impact of multilateral regional organisations on stability in the Horn of Africa, and on linkages between state-building, foreign investment and security in peripheral regions in East Africa and the Horn.
Jason also serves on the board of Stakeholder Democracy Network, a non-profit working in the Niger Delta to bolster the capacity of communities affected by resource extraction to push for their interests in negotiation with governments and companies.
- Horn of Africa (Ethiopia, Somalia, Eritrea, Sudan, South Sudan)
- East Africa/Great Lakes (Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, DRC)
- Conflict and security
- Politics and business
|2011 - date||Managing Editor, Journal of Eastern African Studies|
|2006 - date||Director, Stakeholder Democracy Network, Nigeria|
|2005 - 12||Senior Analyst, Africa, Oxford Analytica|
- Somalia’s Federal Future: Layered Agendas, Risks and Opportunities Research paper
- Eritrea and Ethiopia: Beyond the Impasse Chatham House Briefing
- The EU Strategic Framework for the Horn of Africa: A Critical Assessment of Impacts and Opportunities European Parliament Report
- Translating Famine Early Warning into Early Action: An East Africa Case Study Research paper
- End of the Roadmap: Somalia after the London and Istanbul Conferences Research paper
- Peace, Bread and Land: Agricultural Investments in Ethiopia and the Sudans Chatham House Briefing
- Ethiopian Politics Beyond the Vanguard? 18 October 2016
- Ethiopia's Elections: Competition vs Continuity 22 May 2015
- The Pitfalls of Power-sharing in Somalia 19 November 2014
- Reality of Somali Federalism Doesn’t Match ‘Vision’ 16 May 2014
- Meles's Death: National and Regional Implications 21 August 2012
- Ethiopia and Eritrea: Rising Tensions Amid New Opportunities for Engagement? 19 July 2012
- The EU Strategic Framework for the Horn of Africa: a critical assessment of impact and opportunities Report for the European Parliament's Committee on Foreign Affairs, with Alex Vines and Jason Mosley, September 2012
- Various articles on the politics/economics of Ethiopia, Somalia, Kenya and Nigeria, The Oxford Analytica Daily Brief, 2007-12
- Land policy in Rwanda: Recommendations for UK, APPG/Great Lakes and Genocide Prevention, January 2005