John-Arne Røttingen is the director of the Division of Infectious Disease Control at the Norwegian Institute of Public Health; professor of health policy at the Department of Health Management and Health Economics, Institute of Health and Society, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo; visiting professor at the Department of Global Health and Population, Harvard School of Public Health; and institute visiting scholar at the Harvard Global Health Institute.
He is research associate of the European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies; chair of the board of the Alliance for Health Policy and Systems Research; member of the Scientific Oversight Group of the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, University of Washington, Seattle; and member of the International Advisory Committee for the Global Burden of Disease study.
He has been director general of the Norwegian Knowledge Centre for the Health Services; Oxford Scholar at Wadham College; and Fulbright Fellow at Harvard Kennedy School.
He received his MD and PhD from the University of Oslo, an MSc from The University of Oxford and an MPA from Harvard University.
- Health policy and health systems with emphasis on how evidence can inform decision making.
- Global health with emphasis on health system research.
- Access to and innovation of medicines and other health technologies for the needs of developing countries.
- Evidence based practice, evidence informed policy and knowledge translation.
- Methods for evaluating the effectiveness of interventions, system changes and reforms.
|2014-||Incoming Director of the Norwegian Institute of Public Health’s Division of Infectious Disease Control|
|2012-||Visiting Professor, Department of Global Health and Population, Harvard School of Public Health|
|2011-||Institute Visiting Scholar, Harvard Global Health Institute, Harvard University|
|2010-||Adjunct Professor in Health Policy, Department of Health Management and Health Economics, Institute of Health and Society, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo|
|2004-2011||Director General, Norwegian Knowledge Centre for the Health Services|
- Special Issue: Towards a Global Framework for Health Financing Health Economics, Policy and Law, Volume 12, Issue 2, April 2017
- A Global Antimicrobial Conservation Fund for Low- and Middle-Income 3 Countries with Osman Dar, International Journal of Infectious Diseases, September 2016
- UN High-Level Meeting on antimicrobials—what do we need? with Ramanan Laxminarayan, Carlos F Amabile-Cuevas, Otto Cars, Timothy Evans, Steven Hoffman, Alison Holmes, Marc Mendelson, Devi Sridhar, Mark Woolhouse, David Heymann, The Lancet, July 2016
- Mapping available health R&D data: what’s there, what’s missing and what role for a Global Observatory with Regmi S, Eide M, Young AJ, Viergever RF, Årdal C, Guzman J, Edwards D, Matlin SA, Terry RF, The Lancet, May 2013
- Dark Sides of the Proposed Framework Convention on Global Health's Many Virtues: A Systematic Review and Critical Analysis with Hoffman SJ, Health and Human Rights, June 2013
- Assessing Implementation Mechanisms for an International Agreement on Research and Development for Health Products. Policy and Practice with Hoffman SJ, Bulletin of the World Health Organization, October 2012
- Open Source Drug Discovery in Practice: A Case Study with Årdal C, PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, September 2012
- A new deal for global health R&D? The recommendations of the Consultative Expert Working Group on Research and Development (CEWG) with Chamas C, PLoS Medicine, May 2012