John V. Mitchell is an associate research fellow at Chatham House, research adviser at the Oxford Institute of Energy Studies, and honorary fellow at the Centre for Energy, Petroleum and Mineral Law and Policy at the University of Dundee.
In November 2007 he received a lifetime achievement award for research from King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia at the opening of the third Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) summit in Riyadh.
He retired in 1993 from British Petroleum (BP) where his posts included special adviser to the managing directors, regional co-ordinator for BP’s subsidiaries in the Western Hemisphere, and head of BP’s Policy Review Unit.
He has written three books: The New Economy of Oil (2001) and Companies in a World of Conflict (editor, 1998) both published by Chatham House/Earthscan; and The New Geopolitics of Energy (Chatham House, 1996). He was also a contributor to Oil Titans by Valérie Marcel (Brookings/Chatham House, 2006).
Areas of expertise
- Energy economics
- Oil industry
- Energy Security
- Human rights and corporate responsibility
|2007||Lifetime achievement award for research from King Abdullah at the opening of the 3rd OPEC Summit in Riyadh|
|2004-Present||Associate Fellow, Energy, Environment and Development Programme, Chatham House|
|1994-2004||Chair, Steering Committee, Energy and Environment Programme, Chatham House|
|1990-93||Special Adviser to the Managing Directors, British Petroleum|
|1983-90||Co-ordinator for and Director of BP companies in North and South America|
|1976-83||Head of BP Policy Review Unit|
|1976-77||Industrial Fellow Commoner, Churchill College, Cambridge|
|1967-76||Supply and Planning departments BP|
|1956-66||Government of Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland|
|1950-55||University of Natal, South Africa|
- Paris Mismatches: The Impact of the COP21 Climate Change Negotiations on the Oil and Gas Industries Research paper 11 August 2016
- Oil and Gas Mismatches: Finance, Investment and Climate Policy Research paper 9 July 2015
- Asia’s Oil Supply: Risks and Pragmatic Remedies Research paper 7 May 2014
- US Energy: the New Reality Chatham House Briefing 1 May 2013
- UK Energy Supply: Security or Independence? Parliament Evidence 1 October 2011
- What Next for the Oil and Gas Industry? Chatham House Report 1 October 2012
- World Oil Trade: New Oil Axis The World Today 1 March 2010
- More for Asia: Rebalancing World Oil and Gas Chatham House Report 10 December 2010
- Investing for an Uncertain Future: Priorities for UK Energy and Climate Security Chatham House Briefing 26 July 2010
- Europe's Energy Security After Copenhagen: Time for a Retrofit? Chatham House Briefing 4 December 2009