John V. Mitchell is an associate research fellow at Chatham House, research adviser at the Oxford Institute of Energy Studies, and honorary fellow at the Centre for Energy, Petroleum and Mineral Law and Policy at the University of Dundee.
In November 2007 he received a lifetime achievement award for research from King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia at the opening of the third Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) summit in Riyadh.
He retired in 1993 from British Petroleum (BP) where his posts included special adviser to the managing directors, regional co-ordinator for BP’s subsidiaries in the Western Hemisphere, and head of BP’s Policy Review Unit.
He has written three books: The New Economy of Oil (2001) and Companies in a World of Conflict (editor, 1998) both published by Chatham House/Earthscan; and The New Geopolitics of Energy (Chatham House, 1996). He was also a contributor to Oil Titans by Valérie Marcel (Brookings/Chatham House, 2006).
- Energy economics
- Oil industry
- Energy Security
- Human rights and corporate responsibility
|2007||Lifetime achievement award for research from King Abdullah at the opening of the 3rd OPEC Summit in Riyadh|
|2004-Present||Associate Fellow, Energy, Environment and Development Programme, Chatham House|
|1994-2004||Chair, Steering Committee, Energy and Environment Programme, Chatham House|
|1990-93||Special Adviser to the Managing Directors, British Petroleum|
|1983-90||Co-ordinator for and Director of BP companies in North and South America|
|1976-83||Head of BP Policy Review Unit|
|1976-77||Industrial Fellow Commoner, Churchill College, Cambridge|
|1967-76||Supply and Planning departments BP|
|1956-66||Government of Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland|
|1950-55||University of Natal, South Africa|
- Paris Mismatches: The Impact of the COP21 Climate Change Negotiations on the Oil and Gas Industries Research paper
- Oil and Gas Mismatches: Finance, Investment and Climate Policy Research paper
- Asia’s Oil Supply: Risks and Pragmatic Remedies Research paper
- US Energy: the New Reality Chatham House Briefing
- UK Energy Supply: Security or Independence? Parliament Evidence
- What Next for the Oil and Gas Industry? Chatham House Report
- World Oil Trade: New Oil Axis The World Today
- More for Asia: Rebalancing World Oil and Gas Chatham House Report
- Investing for an Uncertain Future: Priorities for UK Energy and Climate Security Chatham House Briefing
- Europe's Energy Security After Copenhagen: Time for a Retrofit? Chatham House Briefing
- Oil for Asia (with Glada Lahn) Chatham House Briefing Paper, April 2007
- A New Era for Oil Prices Chatham House Report, August 2006
- The Economic Challenge [to National Oil companies] Chapter in Oil Titans by Valerie Marcel, Brookings/Chatham House, 2006
- L'autre face de la dépendance Énergétique, in Politique Étrangère, 2:2006, IFRI
- Producer-Consumer Dialogue, Chatham House Report, Nov 2005