Dr Julia Xue was an Academy senior fellow in 2016 and was hosted by the International Law Programme. At Shanghai Jiao Tong University, she is chair professor of International Law at the KoGuan Law School, where she also serves as the director of the Centre for Rule of Ocean Law Studies and the Centre for Polar and Deep Ocean Development, chief expert and executive director of Shanghai Social Science Innovation Research Base, and executive director to the Shanghai-based think-tank Research Base on National Marine Rights and Strategy. Throughout her career, she has worked extensively on law of the sea issues and China’s practice in this area. From December 2004 to June 2013, she served as the director of the Institute for the Law of the Sea, the first of its kind in China, at the Ocean University of China, where she chaired projects for drafting and revising national legislations governing ocean-related subjects. She received her PhD from the University of Wollongong in Australia.
- Public international law
- Law of the Sea
- Marine Environmental Protection Law
- Fisheries law
- Chinese law
|2016||Academy Asia Senior Fellow, International Law Programme, Chatham House|
|2016 -||Director: Centre for Rule of Ocean Law Studies; Centre for Polar and Deep Ocean Development; Chief Expert & Executive Director: Shanghai Social Science Innovation Research Base; Executive Director: Shanghai Think Tank Research Base on National Marine Rights and Strategy|
|Aug - Sep 2015||Professorial Fellow, Australian National Centre for Ocean Resources and Security, University of Wollongong, Australia|
|2013 -||Chair Professor: KoGuan Law School, Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU)|
|2013-15||Executive Director: Center for Polar and Deep Ocean Development, SJTU; Research Base on National Marine Rights and Strategy|
Director: Institute for the Law of the Sea, Ocean University of China (OUC); Chair of International Law Department (2007 onwards): School of Law and Political Science, OUC
|Jul-Oct 2012||Research Fellow: Stellenbosch Institute for Advanced Studies, South Africa|
|Jun-Jul 2012||Erasmus Mundus Scholar, University of Bremen, Germany|
|July 2010||Guest Lecturer: Rhodes Academy for Ocean Law and Policy and Maritime Law, Rhode Islands, Greece|
|Mar-May 2010||Visiting Scholar, Centre for Ocean Law and Policy, University of Virginia, the United States|
- 'Studies on the Sovereignty Issue of Islands and Rocks of the South China Sea: from the Perspective of Effective Control Principle' (in Chinese), Journal of Guangxi University (Philosophy and Social Science Edition), No. 5, 2014,94-98.
- 'The South China Sea: Competing Claims and Conflict Situations', in The Limits of Maritime Jurisdiction, edited by Clive Schofield, Seokwoo Lee, and Moon-Sang Kwon, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers (A Law of the Sea Institute Publication), Leiden 2014, 225-248.
- 'Suggestions for the Protective Development of Islands and Rocks in the South China Sea through Clarifying the Criteria of Sustaining “Economic Life” of the Island Regime under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea' (in Chinese), Journal of Comparative Law, No. 6, 2013, 63-69.
- 'Maritime Disputes in Northeast Asia and Escalation of the Sino-Japan Islands Dispute: Implications and Prospects' in University of Hawaii Law Review, Vol. 35 (Issue 2), 2013, 460-484.
- 'Climate Change Challenges and the Law of the Sea Responses' in Climate Change: International Law and Global Governance, edited by Oliver C. Ruppel, Christian Roschmann, and Kathaina Ruppel-Schlichting, Nomos, Baden, Germany; 2013 549-591.