Michael Edelstein is a medical doctor specialised in field epidemiology, with expertise in surveillance systems, outbreak investigations and global health policy, in both routine and emergency contexts. He has worked at national public health agencies (Public Health England, Swedish public health agency) and international organisations (WHO, ECDC) in Europe, Africa and Southeast Asia.
- Surveillance systems
- Outbreak investigation and management
- Global health
|2009-||Specialist Registrar, Public Health, London Deanery Public Health Training Programme|
|2012-14||European Fellow in Field Epidemiology (EPIET), European Center for Disease Prevention and Control|
|2006-08||General Medicine Clinical Training, North Middlesex Hospital, London|
- English and French (broadcast)
- Spanish (not for broadcast)
- The politics of outbreak preparedness, G7 Japan May 2016 with David Heymann and Louis Lillywhite
- Quantifying the incidence and cost of acute gastrointestinal illness in Sweden, 2013-2014. Epidemiol Infect. March 2016 [Epub ahead of print] with Merk H, Deogan C, Carnahan A, Wallensten A.
- What needs to be done to control the spread of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus? Future Virology May 2015 with David L Heymann
- Humanitarian alternatives, Ebola: past, present, future February 2016 with David L Heymann
- Ebola: the challenging road to recovery, The Lancet February 2015 with Philip Angelides and David L Heymann
- The Ebola crisis: perspectives from European Public Health, European Journal of Public Health January 2015 with Aura Timen, Marc Sprenger, Jose Martin-Moreno and Martin McKee
- Sharing Surveillance Data for Global Health: Seeking Much-Needed Improvements with Matthew Brack, David Harper and Asha Herten-Crabb, Brink News, February 2016
- Overcoming Barriers to Data Sharing in Public Health: A Global Perspective with Dr Jussi Sane, Research Paper, April 2015
- Is Case-Chaos Methodology an Appropriate Alternative to Conventional Case-Control Studies for Investigating Outbreaks?, American Journal of Epidemiology. July 2, 2014, Michael Edelstein, Anders Wallensten, Sharon Kühlmann-Berenzon
- Detecting the Norovirus Season in Sweden Using Search Engine Data – Meeting the Needs of Hospital Infection Control Teams, PLOS One. June 23, 2014, Michael Edelstein, Anders Wallensten, Inga Zetterqvist, Anette Hulth
- Barriers to Trace-back in a Salad-associated EHEC Outbreak, Sweden, June 2013, PLOS Currents: Outbreaks. June 2014, Edelstein M, Sundborger C, Hergens M, Ivarsson S, Dryselius R, Insulander M, Jernberg C, Hutin Y, Wallensten A
- Health crises and migration, Forced Migration Review. February 2014, Edelstein M, Heymann D, Koser K
- Joint analysis by the Nordic countries of a hepatitis A outbreak, October 2012 to June 2013: frozen strawberries suspected, Eurosurveillance. July 4, 2013, Nordic outbreak investigation team
- Monitoring of Healthcare-Associated Infection Outbreaks in Neonatal Units in England, Archives of Disease in Childhood. June 2013, Michael Edelstein, Christina Kortsalioudaki
- Can we achieve high uptakes of influenza vaccination of healthcare workers in hospitals? A cross-sectional survey of acute NHS trusts in England. Epidemiology and Infection. May 2013, Michael Edelstein, Richard Pebody
- Ongoing multi-strain food-borne hepatitis A outbreak with frozen berries as suspected vehicle: four Nordic countries affected, October 2012 to April 2013. Eurosurveillance. April 25, 2013, Gillesberg Lassen S, Soborg B, Midgley S, Steens A, Vold L, Stene-Johansen K, Rimhanen-Finne R, Kontio M, Lofdahl M, Sundqvist L, Edelstein M, Jensen T, Vestergaard H, Fischer T, Molbak K, Ethelberg S.
- Validity of International health regulations in reporting emerging infectious diseases, Emerging Infectious Diseases. July 2012, Edelstein M, Heymann DL, Giesecke J, Weinberg J.
- Panton-Valentine Leukocidin associated Staphylococcus aureus infections in London, England: clinical and socio-demographic characterisation, management, burden of disease and associated costs, Journal of Infection and Public Health. August 2011, Edelstein M, Kearns A, Cordery R.
- Hepatitis A outbreak in an Orthodox Jewish community in London, Eurosurveillance. July 2010, Edelstein M, Turbitt D, Balogun K, Figueroa J, Nixon G
- Awareness of health effects of cooking smoke among women in the Gondar Region of Ethiopia: a pilot survey, BMC International Health and Human Rights. July 18, 2008, Edelstein M, Pitchforth E, Asres G, Silverman M and Kulkarni N
- Contemporary Referral of Patients from Community Care to Cardiology lack Diagnostic and Clinical Detail, International Journal of Clinical Practice. May 2006, MacFadyen RJ, Edelstein ML, Bodek S, Ghori K, Read A
- Online Data Offer Hope of Speedier Responses to International Health Emergencies 20 May 2016
- Zika Is Not the New Ebola 29 January 2016
- Bracing for an Outbreak in Earthquake-hit Nepal 25 June 2015
- Ebola and Future Health Crises: The Role of the G7 05 May 2015
- Ebola: The Challenging Road to Recovery 09 February 2015
- Ebola Thrives in Brittle West African Health Systems 06 October 2014