Dr Mishal Khan is consultant leading One Health projects at the Centre on Global Health Security. She is a social epidemiologist by training, specializing in quantitative and qualitative health policy and systems research to improve infectious disease control programmes in low- and middle-income countries.
Over the past decade, Dr Khan has worked closely with national disease control managers in Pakistan, Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, Myanmar and Kenya, focusing on research to inform policy and resource allocation decisions. This builds upon her six-year experience of working in industry advising pharmaceutical companies on investment strategies.
Dr Khan’s areas of expertise include: antimicrobial resistance; One Health; public-private partnerships; gender differences in health; tuberculosis control; and assessing the sustainability infectious disease control programmes.
Dr Khan is an assistant professor at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. She has published widely in leading scientific journals and is a section editor for the Health Policy and Planning journal.
- One Health
- Antimicrobial resistance
- Evidence to inform policy
- Policy research
|2011 -||Assistant Professor, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine|
|2015-16||Assistant Professor, National University of Singapore|
|2005-11||Strategy Consultant, Strategic Decisions Group/IMS Health UK|
- English (broadcast standard)
- Urdu/Hindi (broadcast standard)
- 'Pathogens, prejudice, and politics: the role of the global health community in the European refugee crisis', Khan MS, Osei-Kofi A, Omar A, Kirkbride H, Kessel A, Abbara A, Heymann D, Zumla A, Dar O, The Lancet Infectious Diseases. 20 June, 2016.
- 'Economic interventions to improve population health: a scoping study of systematic reviews' Khan MS, Guan BY, Audimulam J, Liceras FC, Coker RJ, Yoong J, BMC Public Health. 7 July 2016;16(1):1.
- 'Engaging for-profit providers in TB control: lessons learnt from initiatives in South Asia', Khan MS, Salve S, Porter J, Health policy and planning. 1 December 2015;30(10):1289-95.
- 'Exploring the evidence base for national and regional policy interventions to combat resistance', Dar OA, Hasan R, Schlundt J, Harbarth S, Caleo G, Dar FK, Littmann J, Rweyemamu M, Buckley EJ, Shahid M, Kock R, Li HL, Giha H, Khan M S, So AD, Bindayna KM, Kessel A, Pedersen HB, Permanand G, Zumla A, Røttingen JA, Heymann DL, Lancet. 22 January 2016; 387(10015):285-95.
- 'Improvement of tuberculosis case detection and reduction of discrepancies between men and women by simple sputum-submission instructions: a pragmatic randomised controlled trial', Khan MS, Dar O, Sismanidis C, Shah K, Godfrey-Faussett P, Lancet. 2007 Jun 9;369(9577):1955-60.