Nomi has held various posts in the Department of Political Affairs and the Executive Office of the Secretary-General in UN Headquarters in New York.
She has also worked as legal adviser to the UN Mission in Haiti, political adviser to the UN Mission in Guatemala, and on elections in Mozambique and South Africa.
Between 1997 and 1998 she worked as legal adviser to various missions of the Organisation of Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) in the Balkans, including Albania and Bosnia Herzegovina, Serbia and in Montenegro.
From 1998 to 2001 she worked as a diplomatic correspondent covering the Israeli-Palestinian peace process and the crisis in the Balkans for Agence France-Presse, and between 2001-2003 was a Visiting Fellow at the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) before becoming a member of IISS Senior Staff and later heading the Middle East Programme from 2003-2005.
Nomi has been awarded a number of prestigious awards, including the John T. and Catherine D. MacArthur Research and Writing Grant, a USIP Grant, a Ford Foundation grant and a British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) grant.
She has a law degree from the University of Cambridge, an LL.M. in international law and human rights from the European University Institute, Florence, and a second LL.M. from Columbia University, New York.
- Negotiations and mediation (ADR)
- Preventive diplomacy
- Conflict management
- Conflict, security and development in the Middle East
|2005 -||International Mediator and Arbitrator; Convenor of Track II negotiations|
|2008 -||Member of the Board of the ACRONYM Institute of Disarmament|
|2007 -||Member of the Consultancy Network of VERTIC|
|2001 - 05||Visiting Fellow/Senior Staff/Head of the Middle East Conflict Management Programme, International Institute for Strategic Studies, IISS|
|Previous experience also includes: Diplomatic Correspondent, AFP; Legal Officer in Balkans, OSCE – ODIHR; Legal/Political Adviser, UN|
- What if ISIS launches a chemical attack in Europe? The Guardian, November 2015
- Achieving Universality of the Chemical Weapons Convention in the Middle East, Survival, Vol. 57, No. 6, 2015
- Global Security: Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories House of Commons, Oral Evidence, February 2009
- The EU and the Middle East Peace Process: 26th Report of Session 2006-07 House of Lords, European Union Committee July 2007
- Global Security: the Middle East, 8th Report of 2006-07 House of Commons, Foreign Affairs Select Committee, February 2007
- Foreign Policy Aspects of the War against Terrorism House of Commons Foreign Affairs Select Committee November 2003