Osman A Dar is a fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (Edinburgh) and a fellow of the Faculty of Public Health at the Royal College of Physicians (London).
At Chatham House, he is director of the Centre on Global Health Security's One Health project, an umbrella term referring to the Centre's work on antimicrobial resistance, livestock and its IDRAM project.
Osman has helped build the IDRAM initiative which aims to strengthen weak health systems by creating partnerships between the extractives industries and public authorities to improve the prevention, preparedness for, and response to emerging infectious diseases.
He also leads a project to support the Livestock Global Alliance, a collection of international agencies and institutions including the World Bank, WHO, OIE, FAO, the B&M Gates Foundation and ILRI, in operationalizing its One Health collaborations.
Osman is also a consultant in international public health at Public Health England (PHE) where he leads a programme of work that supports low income countries build core capacities and implement their commitments under the international health regulations through the development of strengthened national public health institutes.
- Communicable disease control
- One Health
- Health systems
- Health inequalities
- Health services in complex emergency and humanitarian settings
|2015 -||Director, One Health Project, Centre on Global Health Security, Chatham House|
|2013 -||Consultant in Global Health, Public Health England|
|2011 -||Academic Fellow, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine|
- Global Health: The Dadaab Camps - The Daemon In The Detail The World Today
- Pakistan Floods: Deluge of Misery The World Today
- Facing the Health Challenges of the Global Refugee Crisis 30 November 2015
- Tackling Antimicrobial Resistance: On the Cusp of Success? 20 November 2015
- Moving Beyond Goodwill After Typhoon Haiyan 22 November 2013
- Mining and emerging infectious diseases: results of the Infectious Disease Risk Assessment and Management (IDRAM) initiative pilot, The Extractive Industries and Society with M Edelstein and F Viliani, April 2017
- A Global Antimicrobial Conservation Fund for Low- and Middle-Income 3 Countries with John-Arne Rottingen, International Journal of Infectious Diseases, September 2016
- Pathogens, prejudice, and politics: the role of the global health community in the European refugee crisis with Mishal S Khan, Anna Osei-Kofi, Abbas Omar, Hilary Kirkbride, Anthony Kessel, Aula Abbara, David Heymann, Alimuddin Zumla, The Lancet, June 2016
- Reducing risks to health and wellbeing at mass gatherings: the role of the Sendai framework for Disaster Risk Reduction with A Aitsi-Selmi, V Murray, D Heymann, B McCloskey, E I Azhar, E Petersen, A Zumla, Int J Infect Dis, April 2016
- Non randomised Ebola trials-lessons for optimal outbreak research with G Ippolito, S Lanini, P Brouqui, A Di Caro, F Vairo, F M Fusco, S Krishna, M R Capobianchi, H Kyobe-Bosa, V Puro, R Wölfel, T Avsic-Zupanc, J P Ioannidis, G Portella, P Kremsner, M Bates, A Zumla, Lancet Infect Dis, April 2016
- Tuberculosis and mass gatherings-opportunities for defining burden, transmission risk, and the optimal surveillance, prevention, and control measures at the annual Hajj pilgrimage with A Zumla, A B Saeed, B Alotaibi, S Yezli, K Bieh, M Bates, T Tayeb, P Mwaba, S Shafi, B McCloskey, E Petersen, E I Azhar, Int J Infect Dis, February 2016
- Rapid Spread of Zika Virus in The Americas - Implications for Public Health Preparedness for Mass Gatherings at the 2016 Brazil Olympic Games with E Petersen, M E Wilson, S Touch, B McCloskey, P Mwaba, M Bates, F Mattes, M Kidd, G Ippolito, E I Azhar, A Zumla, Int J Infect Dis, March 2016
- Exploring the evidence base for national and regional policy interventions to combat resistance with R Hasan, J Schlundt, S Harbarth, G Caleo, F K Dar, J Littmann, M Rweyemamu, E J Buckley, M Shahid, R Kock, H L Li, H Giha, M Khan, A D So, K M Bindayna, A Kessel, H B Pedersen, G Permanand, A Zumla, J ARøttingen, D L Heymann, Lancet, January 2016
- International cooperation to improve access to and sustain effectiveness of antimicrobials with C Årdal, K Outterson, S J Hoffman, A Ghafur, M Sharland, N Ranganathan, R Smith, A Zorzet, J Cohn, D Pittet, N Daulaire, C Morel, Z Rizvi, M Balasegaram, D L Heymann, A H Holmes, L S Moore, R Laxminarayan, M Mendelson, J A Røttingen, Lancet, January 2016
- Medical abuse at Guantanamo Bay Military Prison – what do we do now with E Buckley, S Rokadiya, A Kessel, J Porter, Tropical Medicine & International Health, July 2014
- Prevention is Better Than Cure for Emerging Infectious Diseases with David Heymann, British Medical Journal, February 2014
- Tempering the risk: Rift Valley fever and bioterrorism with S Hogarth and S McIntyre, Trop Med Int Health, 2013
- Rift Valley fever and a new paradigm of research and development for zoonotic disease control with D Heymann, S Hogarth, S McIntyre, Emerg Infect Dis, February 2013
- Conducting Rapid Health Needs Assessment in the cluster era: Experience from the Pakistan Flood with M Khan and V Murray, PreHospital and Disaster Medicine, June 2011