Peter is the former energy editor of the Middle East Economic Digest (MEED), and has worked as a journalist and analyst focused on political economy issues in the MENA region since 2008.
He has written widely for The Economist, Financial Times, Foreign Policy and Vice News among other publications and worked as a consultant to the UK government’s Department for International Development, the UN and the World Bank.
Between 2011 and 2013 Peter worked closely with the Yemen Forum at Chatham House on a series of public and private research projects on the political economy of Yemen.
Peter holds an Msc in International Politics from the School of Oriental and African Studies at the University of London and an MA in English & Scottish Literature from the University of Edinburgh.
- Yemen - politics and economics
- GCC - politics and economics
- Energy and commodities
- Political economy
- Yemen and the business of war The World Today
- Yemen: Stemming the Rise of a Chaos State Research paper
- Yemen and the Saudi-Iranian 'Cold War' Research paper
- Yemen: Corruption, Capital Flight and Global Drivers of Conflict Chatham House Report
- Yemen's Economy: Oil, Imports and Elites Research paper
- Yemen: Economic Cost The World Today
- Yemen's Future Looks Grim After Saleh Killing 05 December 2017
- Gulf Crisis Exposes the Weakness of Trump’s ‘Unpredictability’ 28 July 2017
- In Qatar v Saudi Arabia, the West Can't Afford to Pick a Side 06 June 2017
- Saudi Pressure on Child Rights Report Undermines UN's Credibility 10 June 2016
- In Volatile Middle East, West Must Not Forget Yemen 31 March 2016
- UN Must Break Cycle of Transitional Failure in Yemen 26 October 2015
- Why Yemen Must Conquer Corruption to Save the Poor 17 October 2013
- How Yemen’s United Nations mediation could avoid failing again (but probably won’t) The Washington Post, October 2015
- As civilian toll rises in Yemen, Houthis and Saudis just dig in World Politics Review, October 2015
- Federalism, Conflict and Fragmentation: The Limits of International Approaches to State-Building in Yemen Saferworld, September 2015
- Corruption in Yemen: Maintaining the Status Quo? in Rebuilding Yemen: political, economic and social challenges, Gerlach Press, September 2015