Professor Keun-Wook Paik is an associate fellow of the Energy, Environment and Resources department at Chatham House and an expert in Asian energy issues.
He is a senior research fellow at the Oxford Institute for Energy Studies and the author of Sino-Russian Oil and Gas Cooperation: The Reality and Implications (Oxford University Press, 2012).
Currently he is also adjunct professor at Yonsei-Seri EU Centre under Institute of East-West Studies, Yonsei University, and at China University of Petroleum (Beijing) respectively.
During the last two decades, he has been advising energy related institutions in Russia, China, Korea, Japan, US and UN with regard to the geopolitics of pipeline development in Northeast Asia, China's natural gas expansion, and DPRK's oil exploration and development issues.
He is a global authority on Sino-Russian oil and gas cooperation studies.
- Natural gas in Northeast Asia, in particular in China
- Sino-Russian oil and gas cooperations
- Pipeline politics and economics
- DPRK energy issue, in particular oil development
- China's global oil and gas expansion strategy
|2007-||Senior Research Fellow, Oxford Institute for Energy Studies|
|2006||Consultant to UNDP GTI Energy Board (and Expert Council)|
|2003-05||Member of UN's DPRK Energy Study Group|
|2000-02||Advisor to Chairman of the Government, Sakha Republic, Russian Federation|
|1998-99||Advisor, Sino-Russia Oil and Gas Committee, CNPC|
|1996-98||Research Fellow and Senior Research Fellow, Energy and Environment Programme, Chatham House|
|1997||Honorary Research Fellow, Dept of Economics, University of Aberdeen|
|1994-95||Research Associate, Aberdeen University Petroleum Economic Consultants|
|1989-93||Ph.d at the University of Aberdeen|
- Korean, Chinese & Japanese
- Through the Dragon Gate? A Window of Opportunity for Northeast Asian Gas Security Chatham House Briefing
- Trends in Asian National Oil Company Investment Abroad Working Paper
- Sino-Russian Oil and Gas Cooperation: Half-empty or Half-full? (2010, Oxford Institute for Energy Studies)
- Natural Gas in Korea in Jonathan Stern, ed., Natural Gas in Asia: The Challenges of Growth in China, India, Japan and Korea, (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008), pp. 174-219
- Russia's Oil and Gas Exports to North East Asia with Glada Lahn, Chatham House Report, May 2005
- Pipeline Gas Introduction to the Korean Peninsula Chatham House Report, Jan 2005
- The Implications of China's Gas Expansion towards Natural Gas Market in Asia Feb 2004
- Natural Gas Expansion in Korea, in Ian Wybrew-Bond and Jonathan Stern, ed., Natural Gas in Asia: The Challenges of Growth in China, India, Japan and Korea (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002), pp. 188-229
- Energy Developments in Northeast Asia: Unfulfilled Potential, (Surrey: Curzon: 2001), pp. 166-181
- China Natural Gas Report, a joint publication of Xinhua News Agency and RIIA, 1998
- Gas and Oil in Northeast Asia: Policies, Projects and Prospects, (RIIA, 1995)