Professor Richard G Whitman is a visiting senior fellow of the Europe Programme. He is also currently director of the Global Europe Centre and professor of Politics and International Relations at the University of Kent.
He was senior fellow, Europe (April 2006-April 2007) and head of the European Programme at Chatham House (April 2004 to April 2006). He is an academician of the Academy of Social Sciences and a member of the Executive of the British International Studies Association (BISA).
His current research interests include the external relations and foreign and security and defence policies of the EU, and the governance and future priorities of the EU.
Professor Whitman is a regular media commentator, working with print and broadcast media at home and overseas.
- UK and the European Union
- European Union Foreign Policy
- European Security and Defence Policy
- European Union Trade and Development Policy
- Constitutional and Institutional Change in the European Union
Visiting Senior Fellow, Europe, Chatham House; Senior Fellow, UK in a Changing Europe
|2011 -||Professor of Politics and International Relations, University of Kent|
|2007-15||Associate Fellow, Europe, Chatham House|
|2007-11||Professor of Politics, University of Bath|
|2004-06||Head of Europe Programme, Chatham House|
|2000-04||Director, Centre for the Study of Democracy, University of Westminster|
|1995 - 2000||Senior Lecturer, University of Westminster|
- The Arab Spring, Eurozone crisis and the Neighbourhood: A region in flux, Journal of Common Market Studies 50 (Annual Review of the European Union in 2011), 2012
- The Routledge Handbook of European Security (London, Routledge), co-editor and chapters, with Sven Biscop, 2012
- The European Union as a Global Conflict Manager (London, Routledge), co-editor and chapters, with Stefan Wolff, 2012
- EU-Brazil Relations: A Strategic Partnership?, with Annemarie Peen Rodt, European Foreign Affairs Review 17.1, February 2012
- A Diplomatic Entrepreneur: Making the Most of the European External Action Service with Staffan Hemra and Thomas Raines, Chatham House Report, December 2011
- The EU as a Conflict Manager? The Case of Georgia and its Implications with Stefan Wolff, International Affairs 86.1, 2010
- European Foreign Policy: Faces for Europe The World Today, December 2009
- Europe: Jobs for the Boys The World Today, June 2009
- Britain and the Euro: Back on the Agenda The World Today, January 2009.
- The Lisbon Treaty and the Foreign, Security and Defence Policy: Reforms, Implementation and the Consequences of (Non)Ratification (with Ana Juncos) European Foreign Affairs Review 14.1, 2009.
- UK Stakeholders in the EU-Turkey Debate, Chapter 8 in: Nathalie Tocci (ed.), Talking Turkey in Europe: Towards a Differentiated Communication Strategy Talking Turkey II, IAI-TEPAV Report (IAI, Rome) 2008.
- European Policy under Gordon Brown: Perspectives on a Future Prime Minister (with Clara M O'Donnell) International Affairs 83.1, 2007.
- The 'Difference Engine': Constructing and Representing the International Identity of the European Union, The Journal of European Public Policy 10.3, 2003.
- Five years of the EU's Euro-Mediterranean Partnership, Chapter 2 in: Andrea K. Riemer & Yannis A. Stivachtis (eds.), Understanding EU's Mediterranean Enlargement, ARIS Security Studies Volume 4, (Peter Lang, Frankfurt am Main) 2002.
- The Development of the Common European Security and Defence Policy, Chapter 23 in: Jackie Gower (ed.), The European Union Handbook Second Edition (Fitzroy Dearborn) 2002.
- Analysing European Integration: Reflecting on the English School - Scenarios for an Encounter, Journal of Common Market Studies Volume 40.1, 2002.
- I. Manners, R. Whitman & D. Allen (eds.), The Foreign Policies of European Union Member States (Manchester, Manchester University Press) 2000.
- The EEA: A Safe Harbour in the Brexit Storm 27 June 2016
- After the ‘Leave’ Vote: The UK’s European Year Zero 10 March 2016
- Cameron’s EU Renegotiation Has Entered Its Most Dangerous Phase 12 February 2016
- Is Britain Retreating from the World? 05 May 2015
- A Divided Kingdom 17 September 2014
- The Costs of Dis-Union for a UK Without Scotland 12 September 2014
- The Battles over Juncker are Just Beginning 27 June 2014
- Transatlantic Relations Hanging on the Telephone 28 October 2013
- Croatia’s EU Accession: Enlargement Without Fanfare 30 June 2013
- On Europe: Margaret Thatcher's Lasting Legacy 09 April 2013
- Boris should look for his Brexit blueprint in Canada The Times Red Box
- Political turmoil in the UK CNBC
- Halt to EU's military forward march The Times
- An unstable Greece will ‘leave Europe vulnerable to terrorism’ Newsweek
- Britain and Cameron in EU danger zone, say experts AFP
- Will the UK exit the Juncker battle unscathed? CNBC
- Europe’s hunger games: Who’ll take the EU’s top job? CNBC