Professor Richard G Whitman is an associate fellow of the Europe Programme. He is also currently director of the Global Europe Centre and professor of Politics and International Relations at the University of Kent.
Previously, he was visiting senior fellow (2015-16), senior fellow (2006-07) and head of the Europe Programme at Chatham House (2004-06). He is an academician of the Academy of Social Sciences and a member of the Executive of the British International Studies Association (BISA).
His current research interests include the external relations and foreign and security and defence policies of the EU, and the governance and future priorities of the EU.
Professor Whitman is a regular media commentator, working with print and broadcast media at home and overseas.
Areas of expertise
- UK and the EU
- European Union Foreign Policy
- European Security and Defence Policy
- European Union Trade and Development Policy
- Constitutional and Institutional Change in the European Union
|2007-15; 2017 -|
Associate Fellow, Europe, Chatham House
|2011 -||Professor of Politics and International Relations, University of Kent|
|2015-16||Visiting Senior Fellow, Europe, Chatham House; Senior Fellow, UK in a Changing Europe|
|2007-11||Professor of Politics, University of Bath|
|2004-06||Head of Europe Programme, Chatham House|
|2000-04||Director, Centre for the Study of Democracy, University of Westminster|
|1995 - 2000||Senior Lecturer, University of Westminster|
- Devolved External Affairs: The Impact of Brexit Research paper 9 February 2017
- Brexit or Bremain: what future for the UK’s European diplomatic strategy? International Affairs 6 May 2016
- The Old Continent is becoming strategically irrelevant The World Today 4 October 2013
- Transatlantic triage? European and UK 'grand strategy' after the US rebalance to Asia International Affairs 6 September 2013
- The Future of the European Union: UK Government Policy Evidence to Parliament 1 May 2012
- The Foreign Policy Implications of and for a Separate Scotland Evidence to Parliament 1 October 2012
- A Diplomatic Entrepreneur: Making the Most of the European External Action Service Chatham House Report 1 December 2011
- European Foreign Policy: Faces for Europe The World Today 1 December 2009
- Europe: Jobs for the Boys The World Today 1 June 2009
- The EU as a Conflict Manager? The Case of Georgia and its Implications International Affairs 21 January 2010
- Planning for Post-Brexit Britain’s Place on the Global Stage 18 May 2017
- Theresa May’s ‘Two Union’ Problem: Scotland and Article 50 14 March 2017
- The EEA: A Safe Harbour in the Brexit Storm 27 June 2016
- After the ‘Leave’ Vote: The UK’s European Year Zero 10 March 2016
- Cameron’s EU Renegotiation Has Entered Its Most Dangerous Phase 12 February 2016
- Is Britain Retreating from the World? 05 May 2015
- A Divided Kingdom 17 September 2014
- The Costs of Dis-Union for a UK Without Scotland 12 September 2014
- The Battles over Juncker are Just Beginning 27 June 2014
- Transatlantic Relations Hanging on the Telephone 28 October 2013
- The Arab Spring, Eurozone crisis and the Neighbourhood: A region in flux Journal of Common Market Studies 50 (Annual Review of the European Union in 2011), 2012
- The Routledge Handbook of European Security London, Routledge, co-editor and chapters, with Sven Biscop, 2013
- The European Union as a Global Conflict Manager London, Routledge, co-editor and chapters, with Stefan Wolff, 2012
- EU-Brazil Relations: A Strategic Partnership? with Annemarie Peen Rodt, European Foreign Affairs Review 17.1, February 2012
- The Lisbon Treaty and the Foreign, Security and Defence Policy: Reforms, Implementation and the Consequences of (Non)Ratification with Ana Juncos, European Foreign Affairs Review 14.1, 2009
- UK Stakeholders in the EU-Turkey Debate Chapter 8 in: Nathalie Tocci (ed.), Talking Turkey in Europe: Towards a Differentiated Communication Strategy Talking Turkey II, IAI-TEPAV Report , IAI, Rome 2008.
- European Policy under Gordon Brown: Perspectives on a Future Prime Minister (with Clara M O'Donnell) International Affairs 83.1, 2007
- Five years of the EU's Euro-Mediterranean Partnership Chapter 2 in: Andrea K. Riemer & Yannis A. Stivachtis (eds.), Understanding EU's Mediterranean Enlargement, ARIS Security Studies Volume 4, (Peter Lang, Frankfurt am Main) 2002
- Analysing European Integration: Reflecting on the English School - Scenarios for an Encounter Journal of Common Market Studies Volume 40.1, 2002.
- The Foreign Policies of European Union Member States I. Manners, R. Whitman & D. Allen (eds.), Manchester, Manchester University Press, 2000.