Commissioning Editor, International Affairs
- Member Elect, International Security Studies Section of the International Studies Association
- Member Elect, International Security and Arms Control, Section of the American Political Science Association
- Founding Chair of the Kenneth N Waltz Dissertation Prize
- International Security and Arms Control Section (19) Programme Chair for the Annual APSA Conference, Toronto, September 2009
- British Representative on the Human and Societal Dynamics Advisory Panel of NATO's Science for Security and Peace Programme
- British Defence and Security Policy
- European Security
- Nuclear Strategy
- Civil-Military Affairs
|2015-||Commissioning Editor, International Affairs|
|2008-15||Associate Fellow, International Security, Chatham House|
|2007 -||Visiting Fellow, Department of Politics, University of Bristol|
|2000 -||Professor of International Security, Defence Studies Department, King's College London (based at the United Kingdom's Joint Services Command and Staff College)|
|1997 - 2005||Lecturer, Defence Studies Department, Joint Services Command and Staff College|
|1996 - 1997||Lecturer, Department of History and International Affairs, Royal Naval College Greenwich|
|1995 - 1996||Lecturer, Department of Political Science and International Studies, University of Birmingham|
|1987 - 1991||Chartered Accountant, KPMG|
- The Future of Transatlantic Relations: Perceptions Policy and Practice ed. with Joyce P Kaufman, Stanford University Press, 2010
- War and Diplomacy co-author, New York, USA, Potomac Books Inc, 2008.
- Transforming to Effects-based Warfare: Lessons from the United Kingdom Experience Strategic Studies Institute, US Army War College, 2008.
- Britain and its Armed Forces Today in Political Quarterly, vol.78, no.2, April-June 2007, pp.320-7.
- The British Experience of Low-Intensity Conflict in Sierra Leone in Defense and Security Analysis, vol.23, no.2, June 2007, pp.185-200.
- Britain and Defence Transformation: A Model of Success or a Warning of its Dangers? Defence Studies, vol.6, no.2, June 2006, pp.150-68.
- Reorganising the Infantry: Drivers of Change and What this Tells Us About the State of the Defence Debate Today British Journal of Politics and International Relations, vol.8, no.4, 2006.