Kevin Outterson teaches health law and corporate law at Boston University, where he co-directs the health law programme.
He serves as the editor-in-chief of the Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics; faculty co-advisor to the American Journal of Law & Medicine; past chair of the Section on Law, Medicine & Health Care of the Association of American Law Schools; and a member of the Board of the American Society of Law, Medicine & Ethics.
He blogs on health policy issues at leading health policy blog, theincidentaleconomist.com. His research focuses on the organization and finance of the health sector.
Areas of specialization include global pharmaceutical markets, particularly antibiotics and other antimicrobials that can degrade in usefulness over time through resistance.
He led an interdisciplinary project on the legal ecology of antimicrobial resistance, funded in part by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation program on public health law.
He is a faculty affiliate at the Harvard Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics and an appointed member of the Antimicrobial Resistance Working Group at the CDC.
Areas of expertise
- Health care markets
- New business models for antibiotics
- Global intellectual property, trade agreements & health
- First Amendment issues in health care
|2007 - present||Professor, Boston University School of Law; co-director of the Health Law Program|
|2010 - present|
Professor of Health Law, Bioethics, and Human Rights, Boston University School of Public Health
|2011 - present||CDC, Antimicrobial Resistance Working Group|
|2010 - present|
Faculty Affiliate, Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics, Harvard University
- Towards a New Global Business Model for Antibiotics: Delinking Revenues from Sales Chatham House Report 9 October 2015
- New Business Models for Sustainable Antibiotics Working Group Paper 1 February 2014
- The Drug Quality and Security Act – Mind the Gaps New England Journal of Medicine, Issue 370, January 2014
- Approval and Withdrawal of Antibiotics and Other Antiinfectives in the US, 1980-2009 with Powers, Seoane-Vazquez, Rodriguez-Monguio, & Kesselheim, Journal of Law, Medicine and Ethics, 2013
- Improving Antibiotic Markets for Long Term Sustainability with Kesselheim AS, Yale Journal of Health Policy, Law and Ethics, Vol 11, 2011.
- Fighting Antibiotic Resistance: Marrying New Financial Incentives to Meeting Public Health Goals with Aaron S. Kesselheim, Health Affairs, Vol 29, Issue 9, 2010