Dr Richard Kock is a wildlife veterinary scientist at the agricultural-environment nexus. He worked at the Zoological Society London for 28 years. During his time at ZSL he was seconded to Kenya, where he researched diseases at the livestock-wildlife disease interface.
Since 2011 he is professor at the Royal Veterinary College. In 2010 he was awarded the FAO medal in recognition of his work on rinderpest eradication. He supervises doctoral students in areas including bovine tuberculosis (Uganda); brucellosis (Kazakhstan); health and wildlife reintroduction (UK) and molecular studies on PPR virus (UK).
He is the director of the joint Master’s - One Health with the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. He publishes widely in peer/popular media, and is a regular keynote speaker at public health events. He is the co-chair of the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) wildlife health specialist group, on periodic expert committees or panels for the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), IUCN, International Health Regulations (IHR) and Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN. He obtained his veterinary professional and doctoral degrees Queens’ College, University of Cambridge.
- Wildlife health and disease
- Emerging diseases
- One Health
- Mass mortality events
- Agriculture (livestock) - environment nexus
|2011 -||Professor Royal Veterinary College London|
|1983 - 2010||Veterinarian Researcher, Zoological Society London (seconded Kenya AU 1991-2006)|
|1980-83||General Practice UK|
Some (radio and television )
- English and French (broadcast)
- Swahili (not for broadcast)
- Kock R.A., M.B. Orynbayev, K.T. Sultankulova, V.M. Strochkov, Z.D. Omarova, E.K. Shalgynbayev, N.M. Rametov, A.R. Sansyzbay, S. Parida (2015) 'Detection and genetic characterization of lineage IV peste des petits ruminants virus' in Kazakhstan Transboundary and Emerging Diseases, 62(5), 470–479. doi:10.1111/tbed.12398
- Mahapatra, M., Sayelel K., Muniraju, M., Eblate, E., Fyumagwa, R., Shilinde L., Maulie Mdaki, M., Keyyu, J., Parida, S., Kock R.(2015) 'Spill-over of Peste des Petits Ruminants Virus from domestic sheep and goats to wild ruminants in the Serengeti Ecosystem', Northern Tanzania Emerging Infectious Diseases 21 (12) doi: 10.3201/eid2112.150223
- Wallace, R. G., Kock, R., Bergmann, L., Gilbert, M., Hogerwerf, L., Pittiglio, C., Wallace, R. (2016). 'Did Neoliberalizing West African Forests Produce a New Niche for Ebola?' International Journal Health Services 46(1):149-65 doi:10.1177/0020731415611644
- Wallace, R. G., Bergmann, L., Kock, R., Gilbert, M., Hogerwerf, L., Wallace, R., & Holmberg, M. (2014). 'The dawn of Structural One Health: A new science tracking disease emergence along circuits of capital'. Social Science & Medicine. doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2014.09.047
- Kock R. A. (2016) Coordinating Lead Author: Healthy Planet Healthy People and Land chapters. In: UNEP/UNECE 2016. GEO-6 Assessment for the pan-European region. United Nations Environment Programme, Nairobi, Kenya. Pg 29-45; 233-247