Dr Richard Kock is a wildlife veterinary scientist at the agricultural-environment nexus.
He worked at the Zoological Society London for 28 years, during which he was seconded to Kenya, where he researched diseases at the livestock-wildlife disease interface.
Since 2011 he has been professor at the Royal Veterinary College, and in 2010 he was awarded the FAO medal in recognition of his work on rinderpest eradication.
He supervises doctoral students in areas including bovine tuberculosis (Uganda); brucellosis (Kazakhstan); health and wildlife reintroduction (UK) and molecular studies on PPR virus (UK).
He is the director of the MSc One Health (Infectious Diseases) which is delivered jointly by the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and the Royal Veterinary College (RVC).
He publishes widely in peer/popular media, and is a regular keynote speaker at public health events.
He is the co-chair of the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) wildlife health specialist group, on periodic expert committees or panels for the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), IUCN, International Health Regulations (IHR) and Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN.
He obtained his veterinary professional and doctoral degrees from Queens’ College, University of Cambridge.
- Wildlife health and disease
- Emerging diseases
- One Health
- Mass mortality events
- Agriculture (livestock) - environment nexus
|2011 -||Professor Royal Veterinary College London|
|1983 - 2010||Veterinarian Researcher, Zoological Society London (seconded Kenya AU 1991-2006)|
|1980-83||General Practice UK|
- Detection and genetic characterization of lineage IV peste des petits ruminants virus with M.B. Orynbayev, K.T. Sultankulova, V.M. Strochkov, Z.D. Omarova, E.K. Shalgynbayev, N.M. Rametov, A.R. Sansyzbay, S. Parida, in Kazakhstan Transboundary and Emerging Diseases, 62(5), 470–479. doi:10.1111/tbed.12398, 2015
- Spill-over of Peste des Petits Ruminants Virus from domestic sheep and goats to wild ruminants in the Serengeti Ecosystem with Mahapatra, M., Sayelel K., Muniraju, M., Eblate, E., Fyumagwa, R., Shilinde L., Maulie Mdaki, M., Keyyu, J., Parida, S., in Northern Tanzania Emerging Infectious Diseases 21 (12) doi: 10.3201/eid2112.150223, 2015
- Did Neoliberalizing West African Forests Produce a New Niche for Ebola? with Wallace, R. G., Bergmann, L., Gilbert, M., Hogerwerf, L., Pittiglio, C., Wallace, R., in International Journal Health Services 46(1):149-65 doi:10.1177/0020731415611644, 2016
- The dawn of Structural One Health: A new science tracking disease emergence along circuits of capital with Wallace, R. G., Bergmann, L., Gilbert, M., Hogerwerf, L., Wallace, R., & Holmberg, M., in Social Science & Medicine. doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2014.09.047, 2014
- Healthy Planet, Healthy People, and Land chapters co-ordinating lead author, in UNEP/UNECE 2016. GEO-6 Assessment for the pan-European region. United Nations Environment Programme, Nairobi, Kenya. Pg 29-45; 233-247, 2016