Ruma Mandal has worked on public international law issues with both the UK government (as a legal adviser in the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office) and with the UN High Commissioner for Refugees.
Her expertise includes international refugee law and international human rights law. In a human rights context, Ruma has been involved in litigation in the European Court of Human Rights, negotiating international instruments and setting up monitoring initiatives.
With UNHCR, she has drafted a series of guidelines on critical areas of international law relevant to the protection of refugees, including the question of exclusion from refugee status and the protection of stateless persons.
She studied law at The University of Cambridge and is a member of the Bar of England and Wales.
- International Refugee Law
- International Human Rights Law
- International Law concerning Statelessness
- Public International Law
|2014-||Senior Research Fellow, International Law Programme, Chatham House|
|2014||Research Fellow and Programme Manager, International Law Programme, Chatham House|
|2010-13||Consultant, UN High Commissioner for Refugees|
|2005-08||Consultant on International and Constitutional Law Issues, South Africa|
|2003-05||Consultant, UN High Commissioner for Refugees|
|1997-2002||Assistant Legal Adviser, Foreign and Commonwealth Office|
|1996||Associate Protection Officer, UN High Commissioner for Refugees, London|
|1995||Admitted to Bar of England and Wales|
|1990-93||BA (Hons) Law, University of Cambridge|
- French (not for broadcast), Bengali (not for broadcast)
- Out of the Shadows: The Treatment of Statelessness Under International Law with Amanda Gray, Chatham House Briefing, October 2014
- Manual of the Law of Armed Conflict, UK Ministry of Defence, OUP, 2004 - Member of Editorial Board
- Political Rights of Refugees, Legal and Protection Policy Series, UN High Commissioner for Refugees, 2003
- EU−Turkey Refugee Deal Is Vulnerable to Legal Challenge 23 March 2016
- UK Election Notes: Foreign Policy Opportunities – Supporting the European Court of Human Rights 07 May 2015
- Is UK Military Intervention Against Islamic State Lawful? 03 October 2014
- Russia, Ukraine and International Law 07 March 2014