Zaur Shiriyev was an Academy fellow with the Russia and Eurasia Programme at Chatham House.
Since March 2017, he has served as coordinator of the PeaCE Project for the Caucasus Research Resource Center Georgia and Eurasia Partnership Foundation Azerbaijan, dealing with Track 2 processes on the Nagorny Karabakh conflict.
He was a senior research fellow at ADA University, Baku, from May 2014 – March 2017.
Prior to that he worked as leading research fellow at the Center for Strategic Studies (2009-14), the Turkish Asian Center for Strategic Studies, Istanbul and International Strategic Research Organization, Ankara.
He is a contributing analyst for the Jamestown Foundation's Eurasia Daily Monitor and has previous editorial and journalistic experience in Azerbaijan and Turkey.
Zaur has published numerous articles and commentaries and co-edited The Geopolitical Scene of the Caucasus: A Decade of Perspectives (Istanbul; 2013) and Energy Security and Geopolitics in Southeast Europe and Azerbaijan (Washington, DC; 2015).
Areas of expertise
- Foreign and national security policies of the South Caucasus states
- Security and energy issues in the post-Soviet space
- Conflict resolution
- Azerbaijan and Georgian foreign policy
- Turkish foreign policy
|2017-present||Coordinator, PeaCE Project, CRRC Georgia/ EPF Azerbaijan|
|2015||Academy Fellow, Russia and Eurasia Programme, Chatham House|
|May 2014||Senior Research Fellow, ADA University|
|2009-14||Leading Research Fellow, Center for Strategic Studies (SAM)|
|2006-08||Research Associate, International Strategic Research Organization (ISRO)|
- Examining How the South Caucasus Is Responding to Trump 24 August 2017
- Oil Price and Russian Pressure Put Azerbaijan’s Strategic Gas Project at Risk 19 July 2017
- Violence in Nagorny Karabakh a Reflection of Azerbaijan’s Security Dilemma 22 April 2016
- The European Games in Baku: A Geopolitical Balancing Act 11 June 2015
- The South Caucasus and the Precarious Eastern Partnership 19 May 2015
- August Heat: The Uncertain Trajectory of Nagorno-Karabakh’s Conflict Resolution Caucasus Analytical Digest, September 2014
- Azerbaijani-Georgian Relations: The Foundations and Challenges of Strategic Alliance with others, SAM Review, August 2013
- NATO and the South Caucasus: The Impact of the Northern Distribution Network in D. Potjomkina, A. Sprūds (ed) Northern Distribution Network: Redefining Partnerships within NATO and Beyond, 2013
- Turkey-Armenia-Azerbaijan Triangle: The Unexpected Outcomes of the Zurich Protocols with others, Perceptions journal, Spring 2013
- Azerbaijan’s Threat Perception and Hierarchy of Security Threats in The South Caucasus 2018 Facts, Trends, Future Scenarios, February 2013