Thiago H. K. Uehara is a researcher at Chatham House. He was previously adviser to the Office of the President of Brazil and consultant to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) on sustainable livelihoods. Thiago has advised organizations on sustainable production and consumption, and created the first course in sustainability at Brazil’s National School of Public Administration and the first sustainable logistics plan of Brazil’s central administration. Thiago is author of Sustainable Procurement and Poder Público e Consumo de Madeira, with Luciana Betiol and others. He is currently completing a PhD in political economy and rural development at Imperial College London. Thiago can be contacted via email ([email protected]g) or LinkedIn.
Dr Alison Hoare is a senior research fellow at Chatham House, with expertise in international forestry policy, forest governance, and natural resource use and trade. Prior to joining Chatham House in 2006, Alison worked with a number of environmental organizations on community forestry and forest management and planning. She has a BSc in botany from the University of Edinburgh and a PhD in ethnobiology from the University of Kent. Alison’s latest research paper for Chatham House is Forest Sector Accountability in Cameroon and Ghana.
Participants in the workshop on sustainable procurement, listed alphabetically by surname:
- Denize Cavalcanti, policymaker, Government of the State of São Paulo;
- Regina Cavini, officer, UN Environment Programme (UNEP);
- Kamala Ernest, officer, UNEP;
- Mark Hidson, director, ICLEI’s Sustainable Procurement Centre;
- Alison Hoare, researcher, Chatham House;
- Pippa Lockwood, researcher, Chatham House;
- Melissa MacEwen, programme manager, Chatham House;
- Guillermo Navarro, officer, FAO Subregional office for Mesoamerica;
- Marigold Norman, adviser, Forest Trends Association;
- Patrick Schröder, researcher, Chatham House;
- Tim Stoffel, researcher, German Development Institute;
- Sarah Storck, consultant, FLEGT Independent Market Monitor;
- Thiago Uehara, researcher, Chatham House;
- Mark van Benthem, director, Probos Foundation;
- Farid Yaker, officer, UNEP.
Thiago Uehara designed and conceptualized the research, analysed and interpreted data, proposed the framework, chaired the workshop, wrote and revised the paper. He is guarantor and responsible for any omission or mistake in this work. Alison Hoare critically revised the design and drafts of the paper, co-hosted the workshop, and approved an earlier draft of the paper for submission to the editors. All participants of the workshop contributed ideas that helped to shape the messages and recommendations of this research paper, in particular for Chapter 6.