Christopher Phillips is senior lecturer in the International Relations of the Middle East at Queen Mary, University of London.
He lived for several years in Syria and conducts frequent research trips to the US, Jordan, Turkey, Lebanon and the Gulf.
He regularly consults UK and foreign government agencies and NGOs, and has appeared on BBC Newsnight BBC Radio 4's Today Programme, BBC News, Al-Jazeera, Sky News, Bloomberg and Channel 4 News.
He has published academic articles in International Affairs, Third World Quarterly, Nations and Nationalism and Mediterranean Politics and op-eds in the Guardian, Newsweek, CNN, The Huffington Post and Prospect among others.
- The international relations of the Middle East
- Arab identity
- Turkey’s Middle East policy
|2012 -||Senior Lecturer in the International Relations of the Middle East, Queen Mary, University of London|
|2011-12||Deputy Editor, Middle East, Economist Intelligence Unit|
|2006-10||PhD, London School of Economics|
- Western Policy Towards Syria: Applying Lessons Learned Research paper
- The Golan Heights: ripples of civil war in Israel's little piece of Syria The World Today
- Western Policy towards Syria: Ten Recommendations Research paper
- Into the Quagmire: Turkey's Frustrated Syria Policy Chatham House Briefing
- The impact of Syrian refugees on Turkey and Jordan The World Today
- Reassessing the Special Relationship International Affairs
- What is Left of Assad’s State is Eroding from Within 06 March 2015
- Syria: The View from Moscow 10 December 2014
- The Plight of Syria’s Refugees is Another Security Crisis in the Making 13 October 2014
- Obama: Realistic or Rudderless on Syria? 19 August 2014
- Understanding Syria’s Four-Front War 06 August 2014
- Resetting Western Strategy Towards Syria 19 December 2013
- Flawed Logic in Decision to Lift Syria Arms Embargo 28 May 2013
- Eyes Bigger than Stomachs: Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Qatar in Syria in Middle East Policy, Volume 24, Issue 1, Spring 2017
- The Battle for Syria: International Rivalry in the New Middle East London, Yale University Press, 2016
- Intervention and non-intervention in the Syria crisis in F. Kühn and M. Turner (eds.), The Politics of International Intervention. The Tyranny of Peace London, Routledge, 2016
- Sectarianism and conflict in Syria in Third World Quarterly 36.2, 2015, pp. 357-376.
- Gulf Actors and the Syria Crisis in The New Politics of Intervention of Gulf Arab States, London School of Economics and Political Science Middle East Centre, Collected Papers Vol. 1, 41-51, 2015
- Everyday Arab Identity: The Daily Reproduction of the Arab World London: Routledge, 2012
- Syria's Torment in Survival: Global Politics and Strategy, vol. 54, no. 4, August-September 2012
- Team Arab: al-Jazeera and the Flagging of Everyday Arabism during the 2008 Beijing Olympics in Nations and Nationalism 18: 3, 2012
- Syria's Bloody Arab Spring in After the Arab Spring: Power Shift in the Middle East? LSE IDEAS Special Report, May 2012
- Turkey and Syria in Turkey’s Global Strategy, LSE IDEAS Special Report, 2011