Valerie Marcel led energy research at Chatham House from 2002 to 2007. She became an associate fellow in 2007, based in Dubai and Toronto, before returning to London in 2014.
She previously taught international relations at Sciences Po Paris (Institut d’études politiques de Paris) and the University of Cairo. She is the author of Oil Titans: National Oil Companies in the Middle East, and a number of publications on national oil companies and governance of the petroleum sector.
She carries out unique fieldwork in the Middle East, North Africa and Africa through interviews with national oil company executives and government officials.
She is a recognized speaker and facilitator at academic and oil industry conferences, expert workshops and executive strategy workshops.
She also advises governments on energy sector governance, as a member of KPMG’s Global National Oil Companies (NOC) team.
- National oil companies
- Petroleum sector governance
- Emerging oil and gas producers, with particular focus on Africa, Lebanon, Timor-Leste
- Oil and politics in Iran, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Abu Dhabi, Algeria, Iraq
- Strategic changes in the industry, involving oil companies, service companies and national oil companies
|2014-16||Member of the Global Agenda Council on the Future of Oil & Gas, World Economic Forum|
|2008-Present||Consultant, KPMG LLP|
|2004-07||Principal Researcher (energy), Chatham House|
|2002-04||Senior Research Fellow (energy), Chatham House|
|2001-02||Adjunct Professor in International Relations and Geopolitics, Institut d'Études politiques de Paris|
|2001||Doctorate in International Relations, Institut d'Études politiques de Paris|
|1997-99||Research Fellow, CEDEJ (Cairo)|
|1997-99||Lecturer in International Law, Cairo University|
- French, Egyptian dialect, Standard Arabic.
- Guidelines for Good Governance in Emerging Oil and Gas Producers 2016 Research Paper, July 2016
- A Local Content Decision Tree for Emerging Producers with Roger Tissot, Anthony Paul and Ekpen J Omonbude, Research Paper, July 2016
- The Cost of an Emerging National Oil Company Research Paper, March 2016
- Oil and Gas Mismatches: Finance, Investment and Climate Policy with Mitchell, J. and Mitchell, B., Research Paper, July 2015
- Guidelines for Good Governance in Emerging Oil and Gas Producers Research Paper, June 2015
- Guidelines for Good Governance in Emerging Oil and Gas Producers Programme Paper, Chatham House, September 2013
- Prospects for Good Governance in Lebanon’s Nascent Petroleum Sector Energy Strategy Reviews, April 2013
- What Next for the Oil and Gas Industry? with John Mitchell and Beth Mitchell, Programme Report, October 2012
- Institutional Design in Low-Capacity Oil Hotspots with Patrick Heller, Revenue Watch Institute, August 2012
- Creating a National Oil Company in East Timor: Building on the Experience of Other Producers Dubai School of Government, January 2011
- States of Play: National Oil Companies Control 80% of the World's Oil. But They're Not all the Same Foreign Policy, Sept/Oct 2009
- Key Issues for Rising National Oil Companies, KPMG International, 2008
- Good Governance of the National Petroleum Sector; The Chatham House Document with G Lahn, J Mitchell, K Myers & P Stevens, Chatham House, London, April 2007
- Report on Good Governance of the National Petroleum Sector with G Lahn, J Mitchell, K Myers & P Stevens, Chatham House, London, April 2007
- Trends in Asian NOC Investment Abroad with Keun-Wook Paik, G Lahn, J Mitchell, E Adylov, Chatham House Working Background Paper, March 2007
- Oil Titans; National Oil Companies in the Middle East Washington: Brookings Institution & Chatham House, 2006. Contribution from John Mitchell.
- Iran, Its Neighbours and the Regional Crises R Lowe & C Spencer (eds), Middle East Programme Report, Chatham House, London, 2006
- Searching for Common Ground, Fundamentals of the Global Oil and Gas Industry; World Petroleum Council Yearbook 2006, Petroleum Economist, London, September 2006.
- Les enjeux du pétrole, in F Charillon & B Rougier (eds): Afrique du Nord-Moyen-Orient; Le Moyen-Orient en crise, Coll. 'Les Ãttitudes de la Documentation française', December 2006.
- Investment in Middle East Oil; Who Needs Whom? Chatham House Report, February 2006
- Middle East Oil Outlook Unsettled Amid Security Vacuum 04 February 2015
- ISIS and the Dangers of Black Market Oil 21 July 2014
- Governance Prospects for Lebanon's Petroleum Sector 09 May 2013
- Saudi-Iran geopolitical ambitions fuelled by oil Toronto Star
- UK joins airstrikes in Syria World at One, BBC Radio 4
- Libya rivals fight for control of country's oil wealth AFP
- Encyclopedia of the oil crash: I is for interest rates Maclean's
- Fuelling ISIS Inc Financial Times
- Seizure of oilfields fuels Kurd statehood dream Voice of America
- ISIS in control of 60 percent of Syrian oil: sources Asharq al-Awsat