Emanuela-Chiara Gillard is a senior research fellow at the Oxford Institute for Ethics, Law and Armed Conflict and a research fellow in the Individualisation of War project at the European University Institute.
From 2007 to 2012, Emanuela was the chief of the protection of civilians section in the policy branch of the United Nations Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.
From 2000 to 2007, Emanuela was a legal adviser at the International Committee of the Red Cross, responsible for providing legal advice on the protection of civilians in armed conflict, children, assistance, multinational forces, occupation and private military/security companies.
Before that she was a legal adviser at the United Nations Compensation Commission, and from 1995 to 1997 she was a research fellow at the Lauterpacht Centre for International Law at the University of Cambridge.
Emanuela holds a BA in law and an LLM from the University of Cambridge.
Areas of expertise
- International humanitarian law
- Law and policy relating to the protection of civilians in armed conflict
- Principled humanitarian action
|2015 -||Research Fellow, Individualisation of War Project, European University Institute, Fiesole, Italy|
|2013 -||Senior Research Fellow, Oxford Institute for Ethics, Law and Armed Conflict, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK|
|2007-12||Chief, Protection of Civilians Section, Policy Studies and Development Branch, United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, New York, US|
|2000-07||Legal Adviser, International Committee of the Red Cross, Geneva, Switzerland|
|1999-2000||Legal Adviser, International Organization for Migration, Geneva, Switzerland|
|1997-99||Associate Legal Officer, United Nations Compensation Commission, Geneva, Switzerland|
|1995-99||Research Assistant to Prof Sir Elihu Lauterpacht QC and Research Fellow, Lauterpacht Research Centre for International Law, Cambridge, UK|
|1993-95||Trainee Solicitor, Frere Cholmely Bischoff, London, UK|
- Recommendations for Reducing Tensions in the Interplay Between Sanctions, Counterterrorism Measures and Humanitarian Action Research paper 23 August 2017
- Humanitarian Action and Non-state Armed Groups: The International Legal Framework Research paper 2 February 2017
- Promoting Compliance with International Humanitarian Law Chatham House Briefing 5 October 2016
- Protection of Civilians in the Conduct of Hostilities in R. Liivoja and T. McCormack (eds), Routledge Handbook on the Law of Armed Conflict, 2016.
- The Role of the Security Council in Enhancing the Protection of Civilians in Armed Conflicts with Julien Piacibello in A Participação de Portugal no Conselho de Segurança: 2011-2012, Instituto Diplomático/Ministério dos Negócios Estrangeiros (eds), 2015.
- Protection of Civilians in Armed Conflict: Bridging the Gap between Law and Reality with Eva Svoboda, ODI Policy Brief, October 2015.
- Not by International Criminal Tribunals Alone – Options for Pursuing Accountability for Violations of International Humanitarian Law EUI Individualisation of War Project, July 2015.
- The Law Regulating Cross-Border Relief Operations No 890, International Review of the Red Cross, September 2013, 351.