David Heymann is currently professor of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine; head of the Centre on Global Health Security at Chatham House, London; and chairman of Public Health England, UK.
Previously he was the World Health Organization's assistant director-general for Health Security and Environment, and representative of the director-general for polio eradication.
From 1998 to 2003 he was Executive Director of the WHO Communicable Diseases Cluster, during which he headed the global response to SARS, and prior to that was director for the WHO programme on Emerging and other Communicable Diseases.
Earlier experiences at WHO include chief of research activities in the WHO global programme on AIDS. Before joining WHO he worked for 13 years as a medical epidemiologist in sub-Saharan Africa, on assignment from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), where he participated in the first and second outbreaks of Ebola hemorrhagic fever, and supported ministries of health in research aimed at better control of malaria, measles, tuberculosis and other infectious diseases.
Prior to joining CDC he worked in India for two years as a medical epidemiologist in the WHO smallpox eradication programme.
He is an elected fellow of the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies (US) and the Academy of Medical Sciences (UK), and has been awarded several public health awards that have provided funding for the establishment of an on-going mentorship programme at the International Association of Public Health Institutes (IANPHI).
In 2009 he was appointed an honorary Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (CBE) for service to global public health.
He has also been awarded the 2004 American Public Health Association Award for Excellence, the 2005 Donald Mackay Award from the American Society for Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, and the 2007 Heinz Award on the Human Condition.
David has been published in more than 145 scientific articles on infectious diseases and related issues in peer-reviewed medical and scientific journals, and authored several chapters on infectious diseases in medical textbooks.
- Infectious diseases
- Public health
- Global Health
|2010 - Present||Professor, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine|
|2009 - Present||Head, Centre on Global Health Security, Chatham House, and Chair of the Health Protection Agency, UK|
|2003 - 09||Assistant Director-General for Health Security, Environment, and World Representative of the Director-General for Polio Eradication, World Health Organization (WHO)|
|1998 - 03||Executive Director, Communicable Diseases Cluster, WHO|
|1995 - 98||Director, Emerging and other Communicable Diseases, WHO|
|1988 - 95||Chief of research activities, WHO Global Programme on AIDS|
|1979 - 89||Medical epidemiologist in sub-Saharan Africa (Cameroon, Cote d'Ivoire, Malawi, and the Democratic Republic of Congo - formerly Zaire), US Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)|
|1977 - 79||Medical epidemiologist in India, WHO Smallpox Eradication Programme|
- Ebola The World Today
- Is treating the symptoms the way forward? The World Today
- Global Health: Eradication And Elimination The World Today
- Smallpox: Threat Resurrected The World Today
- Health and the G20: Saving Banks, Saving Lives The World Today
- Health Security and Animal Disease: Hooves and Humans The World Today
- Haiti: Aftershocks The World Today
- Health: Preparing for Pandemics The World Today
- New Vaccines Are Essential to Fighting Antimicrobial Resistance 28 September 2016
- Ebola and Future Health Crises: The Role of the G7 05 May 2015
- Ebola: The Challenging Road to Recovery 09 February 2015
- The Queen Highlights a Critical Truth About Health in West Africa 20 November 2014
- The Ebola Outbreak You Haven't Heard About 17 October 2014
- Embracing the Politics of Universal Health Coverage 25 June 2014
- Lessons and Challenges for Global Health in 2014 22 January 2014
- Emerging Infections in Perspective: Novel Coronavirus and H7N9 Influenza 15 April 2013
- Looking Ahead at Global Health in 2013 11 January 2013
- The Legacy of SARS Ten Years On 13 November 2012
- Access to Medicine Index—what about sustainability? The Lancet, January 2017
- The international legacy of European science, aid and polio eradication Euractiv, June 2017
- Global Health Security: The Global Outbreak Alert and Response Network Texas A & M University, February 2017
- Post-Ebola reforms: ample analysis, inadequate action with Suerie Moon, Ilona Kickbusch et al, BMJ 2017; 356:j280, January 2017
- UN High-Level Meeting on antimicrobials—what do we need? with Ramanan Laxminarayan, Carlos F Amabile-Cuevas, Otto Cars, Timothy Evans, Steven Hoffman, Alison Holmes, Marc Mendelson, Devi Sridhar, Mark Woolhouse, John-Arne Rottingen, The Lancet, July 2016
- Analysis of 1976 Ebola outbreak holds lessons relevant today with Dr Joel Breman and Peter Piot, Journal of Infectious Diseases, July 2016
- Pathogens, prejudice, and politics: the role of the global health community in the European refugee crisis with Mishal S Khan, Anna Osei-Kofi, Abbas Omar, Hilary Kirkbride, Anthony Kessel, Aula Abbara, Alimuddin Zumla, Osman Dar, The Lancet, June 2016
- What to do about antimicrobial resistance BMJ 2016;353:i3087
- Facing forward after Ebola: questions for the next director general of the World Health Organization BMJ 2016;353:i2666 with Victor Dzau, Ashish K Jha, Ilona Kickbusch, Suerie Moon, Peter Piot, Jorge Saavendra, Devi Sridhar, Barbara Stocking and Liana Woskie
- The politics of outbreak preparedness G7 Japan May 2016 with Michael Edelstein and Louis Lillywhite
- Yellow fever vaccine supply: a possible solution with T Monath, J P Woodall, D J Gubler, T M Yuill, J S Mackenzie, R M Martins and P Reiter
- Partnerships, Not Parachutists, for Zika Research with Louis Lillywhite and Joanne Liu, The New England Journal of Medicine, March 2016
- Zika virus and microcephaly: why is this situation a PHEIC? with Abraham Hodgson, Amadou Alpha Sall, David O Freedman, J Erin Staples, Fernando Althabe, Kalpana Baruah, Ghazala Mahmud, Nyoman Kandun, Pedro F C Vasconcelos, Silvia Bino, K U Menon, The Lancet, February 2016
- Emerging Infections, the International Health Regulations, and Macro-Economy in Encyclopedia of Health Economics, Elsevier, 2014
- Prevention is Better Than Cure for Emerging Infectious Diseases with Osman Dar, British Medical Journal, February 2014
- The Polio Eradication End Game: What it Means for Europe with Ahmed Q., Eurosurveillance, February 2014
- How SARS was Contained International Herald Tribune, March 2013
- Rift Valley Fever and a New Paradigm of Research and Development for Zoonotic Disease Control with others, Emerging Infectious Disease Journal, February 2013
- Ecology of zoonoses: natural and unnatural histories with others, The Lancet, December 2012
- A call to action for the new decade of vaccines with Richard Moxon, Pamela Das, Brian Greenwood, Richard Horton, Orin S Levine, Stanley Potkin and Gus Nossal, The Lancet, June 2011
- Making new vaccines affordable: a comparison of financing processes used to develop and deploy new meningococcal and pneumococcal conjugate vaccines with James Hargreaves, Brian Greenwood, Charles Clift, Akshay Goel, Anne Roemer-Mahler and Richard Smith, The Lancet, June 2011
- Public Health Response to Influenza A(H1N1) as an Opportunity to Build Public Trust with Heidi J. Larson, The Journal of the American Medical Association, 303(3): 271-272, 2010
- Emerging and Re-emerging Infections Oxford Textbook of Public Health, Sixth edition Oxford University Press, 2015
- The Year 2008: a Breakthrough Year for Health Protection from Climate Change? with Neira Maria; Bertollini Roberto; Campbell-Lendrum Diarmid, American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 35(5):424-5, 2008
- Control of Communicable Diseases Manual, Editor, An official report of the American Public Health Association, 2015
- NPHIs as Focal Points for Leadership in Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Journal of Public Health Policy, 29(3):374-6, 2008
- Global Public Health Security with Guénaël R. Rodier; Greenspan Allison L; Hughes James M, Emerging Infectious Diseases, 13(10):1447-52, 2007
- SARS and Emerging Infectious Diseases: a Challenge to Place Global Solidarity Above National Sovereignty Annals of the Academy of Medicine, 35(5):350-3, 2006
- Resistance to Anti-Infective Drugs and the Threat to Public Health Cell, 124(4):671-5, 2006
- Social, Behavioural and Environmental Factors and their Impact on Infectious Disease Outbreaks Journal of Public Health Policy, 26(1):133-9, 2005
- A Global Call for New Polio Vaccines with Sutter Roland W; Aylward R Bruce, Nature, 434(7034):699-700, 2005
- Communicable Diseases in Complex Emergencies: Impact and Challenges with Dr Máire A Connolly; Gayer Michelle; Ryan Michael J; Salama Peter; Spiegel Paul, Lancet, 364(9449):1974-83, 2004
- Global Surveillance of Communicable Diseases with Guénaël R. Rodier; Emerging Infectious Diseases Special Issue, 4(3):362-5, 1998