Before joining Chatham House, David Salisbury was director of immunisation at the Department of Health until the end of 2013. He was responsible for the national immunisation programme and led the introduction of many new vaccines. He works extensively with the WHO, especially on polio eradication. He previously chaired the WHO’s Strategic Advisory Group of Experts on Immunisation, the WHO committee that sets global immunisation policy. He also served as co-chair of the Pandemic Influenza group of the G7 Global Health Security Initiative. He trained as a paediatrician in Oxford and London, and is a visiting professor at Imperial College, London and a fellow of the Academy of Medical Sciences. He continues to lecture and advise on vaccines and vaccination as well as undertaking ongoing work in polio, malaria and the development of new vaccines. He was made a Companion of the Order of the Bath in 2001.
- Vaccination programmes
- Poliomyelitis eradication
- Introduction of new vaccines
- Public health (communicable diseases)
|2007-||Director of Immunization, Department of Health, London|
Visiting Professor, Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College
Extensive experience of briefing journalists, extensive experience of live and pre-recorded interviews for all media. Multiple interviews for Today programme, Newsnight, BBC, ITV, Channel 4 News, radio5 live, local and regional radio.
- English (broadcast standard), French (conversation standard)
- Eradicating Polio Adams A, Salisbury D M, in Science, 6 November 2015: Vol. 350 no. 6261 p. 609
- 'Immunization in Europe', Salisbury D M, Martin RM, Van Damme P, Lopalco PL. In Vaccines, Sixth Edition. 2013 p1334 -1353. Ed Plotkin, Orenstein and Offit. Elsevier Saunders
- 'Back to basics: the miracle and tragedy of measles vaccine', Jakab Z, Salisbury DM, Lancet, 2013 Apr 27;381(9876):1433-4. PMID:23623213
- 'Translating vaccine policy into action: A report from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Consultation on the prevention of maternal and early infant influenza in resource-limited settings', Ortiz JR, Neuzil KM, Ahonkhai VI, Gellin BG, Salisbury DM, Read JS, Adegbola RA, Abramson JS. Vaccine. 2012 Sep 29. doi:pii: S0264-410X(12)01345-X. 10.1016/j.vaccine.2012.09.034
- 'Vaccines and Global Health', Greenwood B, Salisbury D, Hill AVS. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B (2011). 366, 2733 – 2742
- 'Establishing global policy recommendations: the role of the Strategic Advisory Group of Experts on immunization', Duclos P, Okwo-Bele JM, Salisbury D. Expert Rev Vaccines. 2011 Feb;10(2):163-73