Before joining Chatham House, David Salisbury was director of immunization at the Department of Health until the end of 2013. He was responsible for the national immunization programme and led the introduction of many new vaccines.
He is the chair of the Global Certification Commission, chair of the European Certification Commission, member of the Eastern Mediterranean Commission and member of the South East Asian Commission on Poliomyelitis Eradication.
He previously chaired the WHO’s Strategic Advisory Group of Experts on Immunization, the WHO committee that sets global immunization policy. He also served as co-chair of the Pandemic Influenza group of the G7 Global Health Security Initiative.
David trained as a paediatrician in Oxford and London, and is a visiting professor at Imperial College, London and a fellow of the Academy of Medical Sciences.
He continues to lecture and advise on vaccines and vaccination as well as undertaking ongoing work in polio, malaria and the development of new vaccines.
He was made a Companion of the Order of the Bath in 2001.
- Vaccination programmes
- Poliomyelitis eradication
- Introduction of new vaccines
- Public health (communicable diseases)
|2007-||Director of Immunization, Department of Health, London|
Visiting Professor, Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College
- The Typhoid Vaccine Acceleration Consortium (TyVAC): Vaccine effectiveness study designs: Accelerating the introduction of typhoid conjugate vaccines and reducing the global burden of enteric fever with Meiringa J, Gibani M et al, in Vaccines, Vol 35, Issue 38, September 2017, p5081-5088
- Eradicating Polio with Adams A, Salisbury D M, in Science, November 2015: Vol. 350 no. 6261 p. 609
- Immunization in Europe with Martin RM, Van Damme P, Lopalco PL, in Vaccines, Sixth Edition. 2013 p1334 -1353. Ed Plotkin, Orenstein and Offit. Elsevier Saunders
- Back to basics: the miracle and tragedy of measles vaccine with Jakab Z, Lancet, 2013 Apr 27;381(9876):1433-4. PMID:23623213
- Translating vaccine policy into action: A report from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Consultation on the prevention of maternal and early infant influenza in resource-limited settings with Ortiz JR, Neuzil KM, Ahonkhai VI, Gellin BG, Read JS, Adegbola RA, Abramson JS. Vaccine. 2012 Sep 29. doi:pii: S0264-410X(12)01345-X. 10.1016/j.vaccine.2012.09.034
- Vaccines and Global Health with Greenwood B, Hill AVS. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B (2011). 366, 2733 – 2742
- Establishing global policy recommendations: the role of the Strategic Advisory Group of Experts on immunization with Duclos P, Okwo-Bele JM, in Expert Rev Vaccines. 2011 Feb;10(2):163-73