Cristóvão Artur Chume, defence minister of Mozambique, reflects on his efforts to reform and modernize his country’s military infrastructure in response to the conflict in northern Mozambique that worsened in 2020 but has improved in 2022.
- How has the security situation evolved over the last year in Cabo Delgado?
- What are your plans for security sector reform?
- What role do militias play and what is your future vision for them as part of the security infractructure?
- There has been a report of new leadership of the Renamo Military Junta in central Mozambique – are you concerned?
- This year is the 30th anniversary of the Rome General Peace Accord ending the war and creating the new Mozambique Defence Armed Forces. What lessons for today could be learned from that process 30 years ago?