Dr Sam Geall is research fellow at the Science Policy Research Unit (SPRU) at University of Sussex and executive editor of chinadialogue.net. His research focuses on low-carbon innovation, environmental governance, media and civil society in China. He edited China and the Environment: The Green Revolution (Zed Books, 2013).
Sam’s writing has appeared in many leading publications, including BBC Chinese, the Guardian, Foreign Policy, Index on Censorship and Nikkei Asian Review. He has been interviewed extensively by media outlets including the BBC, PRI, Al Jazeera and Monocle 24.
Sam was formerly departmental lecturer in Human Geography of China at the University of Oxford. He has a PhD in Social Anthropology from University of Manchester, a BA in Modern Chinese Studies from University of Leeds and was a Kennedy scholar at Harvard University. He is a fellow of the RSA and on the board of the EU-China NGO Twinning Exchange.
- Environmental politics and governance in China
- Low-carbon innovation
- Chinese media and censorship
- Public participation, citizen science and access to environmental information
|2013 -||Research Fellow, Science Policy Research Unit (SPRU), University of Sussex|
|2012 -||Executive Editor, chinadialogue.net|
|2012-13||Departmental Lecturer, Human Geography of China, Oxford University|
Extensive radio and some TV experience.
- Chinese (highly proficient – not for broadcast)
- French (not for broadcast)
- 'Innovation for Sustainability in a Changing China: Exploring Narratives and Pathways', with Adrian Ely, STEPS Working Paper 86, Brighton: STEPS Centre, 2015.
- 'Low carbon innovation in China: from overlooked opportunities and challenges to transitions in power relations and practices', with David Tyfield and Adrian Ely, Sustainable Development, 23 (4), 2015. pp. 206-216.
- 'China’s Environmental Governance Challenge', with Isabel Hilton, in State of the World 2014, Washington, DC: Worldwatch Institute, 2014, pp. 129-137.
- 'Pathways Towards Renewable Energy in China: Prospects, Politics and Practices', with Frauke Urban, STEPS Working Paper 70, Brighton: STEPS Centre, 2014.
- China and the Environment: The Green Revolution (ed) London: Zed Books, 2013.