Tim was previously project manager for the programme’s Syria and its Neighbours Policy Initiative, which aims to support a coordinated and holistic policy response to the conflict in Syria.
Before joining Chatham House, he was senior projects manager, Middle East at BBC Media Action, the BBC’s international development charity. He worked across the Middle East region on projects in Iraq, Egypt, Tunisia and Libya.
An Arabic speaker, he has previously lived in Cairo and Damascus where he studied and worked for local civil society organizations.
Tim was awarded the Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies Departmental Scholarship to undertake his MA in Middle East Politics at Exeter University.
He also holds a BA in History from Nottingham University and a diploma in Arabic from SOAS.
- The Syria crisis and its impact on neighbouring states
- Media in the Middle East and North Africa
- State and society in Libya
- Western Policy Towards Syria: Applying Lessons Learned Research paper
- Economic lifeline as the oil flows again The World Today
- Britain is a fairweather friend to Tunisia The World Today
- Egyptian Elections: Bloggers Versus Badei The World Today
- Europe’s Flawed Thinking on Mediterranean Migration 05 September 2017
- Can the UN’s New Special Representative Make Progress in Libya? 08 August 2017
- Trump Has Sent a Message That Chemical Weapons Won't Go Unpunished 12 April 2017
- Libya’s Power Vacuum Risks Heightened Violence 06 April 2017
- Boris Johnson’s Position on Syria Is a Problem for the UK 14 July 2016
- Fallujah and Iraq's Deepening Displacement Crisis 31 May 2016
- Syria 'Ceasefire' Is a Missed Opportunity 17 February 2016
- Humanitarian Action Runs into Dismal Reality for Syria and Its Neighbours 04 February 2016
- Syria Safe Zones Another Stalled Debate 12 October 2015
- Destroying Cultural Heritage: The End of (Syrian) History 06 March 2015
- Six decisive points that changed Syria's war BBC March 2017
- May must stand up to Trump on Syria The New Arab February 2017
- The harsh realities of the Syrian conflict are laid bare in Aleppo and Palmyra New Statesman December 2016
- Your Aleppo and Syria questions answered Newsbeat December 2016
- The West lacks the commitment to implement a no-fly zone over Syria Prospect October 2016
- The Fall of Aleppo Doesn't Mean Assad Wins Newsweek, October 2016
- Libya: Economic lifeline as the oil flows again The World Today (October 2016, Volume 72, Number 5)
- US-Russia talks move too slowly to contain Syria fire The New Arab September 2016
- Erdogan's domestic wars trump foreign battles The New Arab July 2016
- There is no plan B if this Syrian ceasefire fails Prospect February 2016
- Eight things people get wrong about Syria and air strikes Newsbeat December 2015
- Britain must not escalate the conflict in Syria Prospect December 2015
- After the revolution - Libyan and Tunisian media through the people’s eyes BBC Media Action, September 2014
- The Media of Iraq Ten Years On BBC Media Action, March 2013
- Internet Activism and the Egyptian Uprisings: transforming online dissent into the offline world Westminster Papers in Communication and Culture, Vol. 9 / Issue 2 / April 2013