Ahmed Soliman is the researcher on the Horn of Africa with the Africa Programme at Chatham House. His work focuses on the politics of Somalia, the Sudans, Ethiopia and Eritrea; producing policy-driven research that influences thinking on the Horn of Africa.
Ahmed is co-author of a chapter in the 2014 book The Neighbours of the European Union’s Neighbours, as well as the report The EU Strategic Framework for the Horn of Africa: a critical assessment of impact and opportunities, published in 2012 by the European Parliament's Committee on Foreign Affairs.
He has produced briefings on the politics of the region and contributed to the media, including the BBC, Al Jazeera, The Economist, the Wall Street Journal, the Guardian and the Telegraph.
- Politics and current affairs of Somalia, South Sudan, Ethiopia, Sudan and Eritrea
|2015 -||Research Associate, Africa Programme, Chatham House|
|2012-15||Research Assistant, Africa Programme, Chatham House|
|2008||Programme Officer, International Medical Corps, Baghdad, Iraq|
|2005-06||International Studies and Diplomacy, School of Oriental and African Studies|
- The Horn of Africa: Transnational and Trans-Regional Dynamics in Europe’s Broader Neighbourhood with Alex Vines, in S Gstöhl and E Lannon (Eds), The Neighbours of the European Union’s Neighbours: Diplomatic and Geopolitical Dimensions beyond the European Neighbourhood Policy, Ashgate, 2014
- Perhaps the greatest threat to Ethiopia comes from within the Irish Times, October 2014
- Sudan: Democratization by Dismissal? Expert Comment, July 2013
- What Somalia Needs Most is Peace, Stability Business Daily, May 2013
- Somalia and its Neighbours: Balancing Influence and Independence Expert Comment, May 2013
- The EU Strategic Framework for the Horn of Africa: a critical assessment of impact and opportunities Report for the European Parliament's Committee on Foreign Affairs, with Alex Vines and Jason Mosley, September 2012
- Djibouti’s People Have Yet to Benefit From Its Growing Importance 15 April 2016
- Despite Ceasefire, a Long Road Ahead in South Sudan 28 January 2014
- South Sudan Divisions: Fractious Politics in a Fragile State 18 December 2013
- Unrest in Sudan Over Failing Economic Policies 01 October 2013
- South Sudan: Democratization by Dismissal? 29 July 2013
- Somalia and its Neighbours: Balancing Influence and Independence 07 May 2013
- Sudan and South Sudan: Beyond Brinkmanship 24 April 2012