Bill Hayton was appointed an associate fellow in 2015. He is the author of ‘The South China Sea: the struggle for power in Asia’ published by Yale University Press and named as one of The Economist's books of the year in 2014. His previous book, ‘Vietnam: rising dragon’, was published in 2010, also by Yale.
He has given presentations about South China Sea and Southeast Asian issues for think-tanks and government institutions in the UK, US, the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore. His written work has been published in The Economist, the South China Morning Post, The Diplomat and the National Interest, among others.
Bill has worked for the BBC since 1998 and currently works for BBC World News television in London. In 2006-07 he was the BBC's reporter in Vietnam and spent a year in 2013 embedded with Myanmar's state broadcaster working on media reform.
He graduated from the University of Cambridge in 1990.
Areas of expertise
- South China Sea
- Southeast Asia
- Empire and emporium The World Today 1 June 2017
- The Critical Transition: China’s Priorities for 2021 Research paper 2 February 2017
- ASEAN’s Regional Role and Relations with Japan: The Challenges of Deeper Integration Research paper 18 February 2016
- Why Is Vietnam Hosting an American Aircraft Carrier? 05 March 2018
- Trump May Be a Good Fit for Southeast Asia’s Strongmen 08 November 2017
- The Hard Truth Is Rohingya Refugees Are Not Going Home 06 October 2017
- Will There Now Be Peace in the South China Sea? 14 July 2016
- Duterte’s Victory Is Cry for Help From Those Left Behind in Philippines 12 May 2016
- Freedom of Navigation Ops Risk Trouble in South China Sea 03 February 2016
- Vietnam: The Old Guard Strike Back 29 January 2016
- Is China Moving Towards Compromise in the South China Sea? 31 October 2015
- Vietnam and the United States: An emerging security partnership in Emerging US Security Partnerships in Southeast Asia, US Studies Centre, University of Sydney, Australia, 2017
- The Other Claimants: Vietnam and Philippines in the South China Sea The Diplomat, July 2015
- The South China Sea: the struggle for power in Asia Yale University Press, 2014
- Vietnam: Rising Dragon Yale University Press, 2010