David Butter is an analyst of politics, economics and business in the Middle East North Africa (MENA) region.
He has worked as regional director for the Middle East at the Economist Intelligence Unit, and for MEED magazine, where he was editor between 2000 and 2002.
He holds an MA in comparative politics from Sussex University and a BA in Arabic and Persian from Oxford University.
Areas of expertise
- Politics, economy and business in Egypt
- Economy and business in Saudi Arabia
- Politics and economy in Syria
|2002 - 12||MENA Regional Director (from 2007), Economist Intelligence Unit|
|1984 - 2002||Editor (from 2000), Middle East Economic Digest (MEED)|
- Egypt's Sisi Gives With One Hand, and Takes Away With the Other 28 June 2017
- How to Salvage Syria's Economy 18 March 2016
- Does Turkey Really Get Its Oil from ISIS? 02 December 2015
- Hitting Islamic State’s Oil Operations 26 September 2014
- Can Morsi Survive? 01 July 2013