Ilona Kickbusch is recognized throughout the world for her contribution to health promotion and global health.
She is currently adjunct professor at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, Geneva and director of the Global Health Programme.
She advises organizations, government agencies and the private sector on policies and strategies to promote health at the national, European and international level.
Ilona has published widely and is a member of a number of advisery boards in both the academic and the health policy arena.
She has received many awards and served as the Adelaide Thinker in Residence at the invitation of the premier of South Australia.
She has also launched a think‐tank initiative, Global Health Europe: A Platform for European Engagement in Global Health and the Consortium for Global Health Diplomacy.
Her key areas of interest are global health governance, global health diplomacy, health in all policies, the health society and health literacy.
Ilona has had a distinguished career with the World Health Organization, at both regional and global level, where she initiated the Ottawa Charter for Health Promotion and a range of ‘settings ‘projects’ including Healthy Cities.
From 1998 – 2003 she joined Yale University as the head of the global health division, where she contributed to shaping the field of global health and headed a major Fulbright programme.
She is a political scientist with a PhD from the University of Konstanz, Germany.
Areas of expertise
- Governance for global health
- Health diplomacy
- European health policy and governance
- Health promotion and literacy
- Innovation in health policy
|2008 - date||Director, Global Health Programme, The Graduate Institute, Geneva|
|2004 - date||Director, Kickbusch Health Consult|
|2004 - 2010||Senior Health Policy Advisor, Swiss Federal Office for Public Health|
- Facing forward after Ebola: questions for the next director general of the World Health Organization BMJ 2016;353:i2666 with Victor Dzau, David Heymann, Ashish K Jha, Suerie Moon, Peter Piot, Jorge Saavendra, Devi Sridhar, Barbara Stocking and Liana Woskie
- Addressing Global Health Governance Challenges through a New Mechanism: the Proposal for a Committee C of the World Health Assembly in Special issue of the /Journal of Law, Medicine and Ethics/ on global health governance, with Wolfgang Hein, Gaudenz Silberschmidt, 2010
- Gruppentherapie: Global Gesundheit und Außenpolitisches Handeln in Internationale Politik, July 2010
- Global Health Diplomacy in Marni Sommer and Richard Parker Eds, The Routledge International Handbook of Global Public Health, with Chantal Berger, 2010
- Implementing Health in All Policies co-editor with Kevin Buckett, SA Health, Adelaide 2010
- Policy Innovations for Health editor, Springer 2009