Since 2008, Renad has held research and teaching positions focusing on issues of comparative politics and international relations in the Middle East. His research at Chatham House explores the situation of Iraq in transition and the dilemmas posed by state-building.
Prior to joining Chatham House, Renad was an El-Erian fellow at the Carnegie Middle East Centre, where he examined Iraq, Iran and Kurdish affairs.
Renad is also a research fellow at the Cambridge Security Initiative based at Cambridge University and from 2013, he held positions as lecturer of International Studies and supervisor at the faculty of politics, also at Cambridge University.
Renad has been a senior research fellow at the Iraq Institute for Strategic Studies in Beirut since 2011 and was adviser to the Kurdistan Regional Government Civil Society Ministry between 2008 and 2010.
He received his PhD from Pembroke College, Cambridge.
Areas of expertise
- International relations of the Middle East
- The state and state-building in the Middle East
- The politics of the Kurds in Iraq, Syria, and Turkey
|2016-17||Lecturer of International Relations of the Middle East, LSE|
|2016-17||Academy Fellow, Middle East and North Africa Programme, Chatham House|
|2015-16||El Erian Fellow, Carnegie Middle East Center|
|2013-present||Senior Research Fellow, Iraq Institute for Strategic Studies|
|2012-16||PhD in Politics and International Studies, University of Cambridge|
|2013-16||Fellow, Cambridge Security Initiative (CSi)|
|2014-15||Lecturer, International Studies and Intelligence (ISI), Pembroke College, University of Cambridge|
|2011-12||MPhil in International Studies, University of Cambridge|
|2006-10||BAH in Political Studies, Queen’s University|
- After Mosul, Will Iraq’s Paramilitaries Set the State’s Agenda? The Century Foundation. January, 2017
- Inter- and Intra-Ethnic Relations and Power Sharing in Post-Conflict Iraq with Faleh Jabar, in European Yearbook of Minority Issues Volume 11, 2012.
- The Sunni Predicament in Iraq Carnegie, March 2016.
- The Popularity of the Hashd in Iraq Carnegie, February 2016.
- Iraqi Kurdistan & the Syrian-Kurd Pursuit of Autonomy Al-Jazeera Centre for Studies, 2012.
- Is Muqtada al-Sadr Good for Iraq? with Michael David Clark, War on the Rocks, May 2016.